3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota Double Din Dash Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
marker227
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! Hehe, you saved more money than I did though... I got mine installed weird and eventually (8 months later) changed the radio and the installation.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
4x4 Dakota

tnx... i did some research before starting the install and there was alot of mesurement and litle cuting because that bezel goes for over 250$ down here

Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 PM
marker227
Professional

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my custom double din navigation bezel.

PM me.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
rayhertford

This what I put in my 05 Dakota.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Fits perfectly, DVD/CD player, Tom Tom Sat Nav, Blue Tooth Phone Support, Bluetooth Media Player, MP3 player, IPod control, Analogue TV, DVB Digital Terrestial TV, Reversing Camera, USB port, Output for rear Headrest Screens.

I'm in the UK but I'm sure you can get these in the states.

Fits perfectly into the bezel although a tight fit into the bulkhead (if you want to use iPod cable) but will fit.

Ray

Originally Posted by BLund713
I have an 05 dakota and I have a double din dvd player and was told that it won't work unless I spend a crazy amount of money for a customized dash. Any one know anything? or have any ideas?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is how I did mine

First I removed the old faceplate( and saved it)

IMAG0232.jpg

After you remove the stock radio you have to cut a plastic piece where it sits on:
IMAG0233.jpg

Then it will look like this
IMAG0234.jpg

Using a bit of spare plastic i fabricated the 2 plastic peces that will cover the 2 semi circles where the dial buttons used to sit. Then i just melted it in place
IMAG0231.jpg

Results looked like this!
IMAG0230.jpg

And this is how it looked after being mounted, various people who have seen it have agreed that it looks very close to a stock navi which is what I was shooting for.
IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM
rengnath
Champion

Long time, no see Ray! Good to see you back on the forum.

Thanks for the link! Its pretty sweet that it will fit with no trimming. Do you have a brand/part number off the original box? I dont see anything advertised on the ebay page other than the processor and software info.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that most navi units will come with a frame that you click around the edge of the unit so that you cant see any cuts made on the faceplate.

So DONT cut anything until you receive your unit and you are able to measure it together with the frame.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
rayhertford
Talking

Hi Rengnath

No brand name as such as it's made in China, very good build quality and quite upgradable as it's based on Windows.

Here's another link from another supplier which shows more pics. Mine came with the Chrylser Logo on it when you power it up, but I was easily able to re-programme it so that it now loads with the big red Dodge Logo on the screen.

The unit also comes with all the CAMBUS modules so that you can use any steering wheel controls and so that it doesn't screw up the trucks sensitive electronic monitoring systems. Shop around though 'cos the same unit can vary in price by $200 or so based on where you buy it from. It's quite easy to fit but a tight fit, particulary if you want to use the iPod cable (and why wouldn't you!). It lights up green at night too, in keeping with the stock colour scheme. The sat nav (Tom Tom or Igo) goes in the 2Gb Micro SD card slotted into the front of the unit, no DVD discs to mess around with. Don't forget this head end does preety much everthing, DVD, MP3, CD, Bluetooth, TV, Ipod, Reversing Camera, Aux Video In, Aux Audio in, Headrest outputs etc. etc.

(check this link out)
http://www.suavdvdgps.com/product_Info.asp?id=366

BTW, I got my additional keys sorted, I bought two new blank keys with the remote built in from the states, got them computer cut at my local locksmith, on a machine using the key code from the UK Dodge dealer (they had the code in this little locksmith shop here in the UK, amazing), and then got them matched/added to the Dakota's computer at the same Dodge dealer. They had never seen a Dakota before but they put the VIN into there systems and up came all the info. All in all, it cost me about £200 ($300) for two new keys and to get them cut and added to the truck, so not too bad.

I'll try and take some pictures of my head end unit fitted in my truck. My Wife thinks the revesing camera is the best thing as she can now "see" from the back end of the truck. Don't forget, we drive on the other side of the road over here, so "Left Hookers" aren't the easiest things to drive over here! She also likes it 'cos our other car is a Prius and it has a reversing camera too!

Talk about talk & cheese, a Dakota at 19MPG & a Prius at 50 MPG! Mind you Petrol (Gas) over here only costs $10.18 a gallon! And you lot think it's expensive in the states!!! I'd die to only have to pay $5 a gallon!!

Originally Posted by rengnath
Long time, no see Ray! Good to see you back on the forum.

Thanks for the link! Its pretty sweet that it will fit with no trimming. Do you have a brand/part number off the original box? I dont see anything advertised on the ebay page other than the processor and software info.

Last edited by rayhertford; 04-15-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 AM
rayhertford
Default Picture of my Multi Function Head End

Sorry, don't seem to be able to attach multiple photos.

Here's some pictures I took this morning of my aftermarket head end unit in my 05 quad cab.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ray/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ray/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

The head end can output the screen content (DVD, TV, etc etc) to two rear headrest screens for the kids in the back BUT 'cos the headrest screens have two AV inputs I hooked up another DVD player in the back so the kids can choose which DVD they want to watch! One could be watching one DVD or the DVD/TV from the head end. Each headrest unit has IR audio going to IR headphones so if they choose a different DVD in the back, they can just put on the headphones. I had this headrest system laying around from another car, so I thought I'd throw it into the Dakota. I've just got to re-cover them in a similar Grey cloth to match the rest of the interior.

The tray things I've had for years, they just hang around the headrest so the kids can put their snacks and drinks in them on long journeys.

I had to dismantle the centre console/seat to fit the DVD player underneath the 3rd seat frame, it fits pretty well though, obviously I had to run all the cables to the unit so that the switching options to the two AV channels in each headrest were correct, but I think it kinda worked out pretty well and looks quite a professional job, although I did it all in the outside on my driveway in the winter (it's cold and wet over here most days!). All in all it took me two days to fit the new head end (quite a bit of metalwork modding behaind the dash to get it to fit with all the extra wiring), and to fit the 2nd DVD player unit under the armrest for use by the kids in the back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG4057.jpg (39.5 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by rayhertford; 04-15-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: can't add multiple photos.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
cvfc1216449

which head unit is that u have in ur 05 dakota. and did you have to modify anything to get it in or was it straight plug n play

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota Double Din Dash Possible?