3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission problem Need Help!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Brad Russell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem Need Help!!!

2006 Dakota with a 545RFE

Whats going on is sometimes when I restart the truck after driving and go to shift when I barely move the shifter the indicator on the dash is moving to Reverse before actually shifting causing the transmission to go into limp mode. This never happens after sitting all night on the first start of the day and only happens after heating up. It's worse when the temps outside are higher and hardly ever happens when outside temps are below freezing. When it does happen it throws some code but off hand I can't remember what they all are but they all pointed to the TCM or solenoid pack. First I changed the TCM and had it reprogrammed at the dealership. That didn't work to this weekend I changed the solenoid pack and new filters and fluid and that didn't work either. No issues at all with the tranny when it's working right. Shifts smooth pulls great and when I dropped the pan the fluid was bright red and clean as could be. Magnet in the pan was clean also. Like I said, it never happens after sitting all night, only after driving and heating up. Sometimes you can drive a little and shut down and restart and it's fine. After a couple days the check engine light will go off. Only thing I can think of is trying to adjust the linkage that maybe it isn't shifting all the way to park but I would think if that's the case even after sitting all night it would do it then. Any ideas?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 AM
WvChamp
Rookie

Without a code....we are shooting in the dark Sir.
I would adjust the PRNDL and go from there.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Brad Russell

Originally Posted by WvChamp
I'll get the codes today. Also exactly how do you adjust the PRNDL?

Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Brad Russell

Originally Posted by WvChamp
Went into Auto Zone just to get the codes and here they are....
PO876
PO988
PO750
PO871
PO882
PO841.... This one came up twice

Thing I've done is check and replace the transmission relay, changed and reprogrammed the computer at the dealership, and changed solenoid pack and filters and fluid. Took apart all electrical connections and cleaned.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

out of the blue, how is your battery? going on a whim here, but my wife's Nitro started doing weird stuff when her battery was dying. Battery might not be putting out the voltage now to help the solenoids open and close, causing these codes

Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Brad Russell

Originally Posted by superdak05
out of the blue, how is your battery? going on a whim here, but my wife's Nitro started doing weird stuff when her battery was dying. Battery might not be putting out the voltage now to help the solenoids open and close, causing these codes
The battery has seemed fine. Never had any problem starting and when it's really cold outside the problem isn't as bad. When it's below freezing it hardly ever messes up but when it's hot outside like today it'll be fine on startup but once I turn the truck off after driving and try to restart before completely cooling down for hours then it'll mess up and go into limp mode.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler? if not, might want to look into one, and if you do, I wonder if the actual cooling fins are clogged with road debris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission problem Need Help!!!