3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 dakota slt 4x4 lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM
SinCityTrkGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"offset what? the shock hoops go straight up so the new coilover runs right down the middle like the factory setup...."

I had to offset the stops on my big girl, you have to cut out the old stops to facilitate the fabtech upper arms and weld in the new one's, basically move them. Remember it's a Ram no coilovers just coils and shocks brother.... from there cut al the way to the frame and then we went under the frame, as we had the extra space and put a brace across the top of the motor.....

In all honesty, that lift on dodgetrucker75's looks pretty good..BUT

The more I'm learning about these mid sized trucks the more I wish I would have just bought another Ram for my daily driver.... looks like this may be more work than it's worth to get a few inches out if it...... Way more parts available for the big girl's....

Old 06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Just putting this out there to present another idea. A few years back there was a forum on FWD Turbo Chryslers full of some smart people who were making all sorts of progress on decoding the Turbo Chrysler engine management code with the goal of creating a software to allow anyone to reprogram their own ECU. There is still an active group on Yahoo.

At one point, a select few of those people created a members only R&D group which required a membership fee of $50.00 (I think) to join. This money was used for R&D purposes such as flowbench work, dyno time for testing different cal's, etc.

Now in the end, the group disolved, but I think that with the right people organizing it, it could work for a lift kit project. There is another thread on here with a list of people interested in a lift for our trucks. Last I checked there were 30 names on there. Say a group was formed with a membership fee of $50.00, that would raise $1500.00 right off the hop. If it was $75.00, that would put $2250.00 into the pot.

It would take good organization, communication, and someone with fabrication knowledge and resources, but could possibly be a solution to get things underway. Anyway, I just thought I would put another idea out there. You never know!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@Canadian: money! if your handy with a bender/ welder/ and notcher these things are a sinch to put up. coil hoop/cross braces cost roughly 200 to build. sell anywhere from 6-1000.

and the truck needs to be able to stay ripped apart for a good weekend lol

Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

since the kit im working on would be only for 2wd. i think we should figure out what parts from the 2wd kit are going to be used by you 4by guys. so far long travel isnt looking like itll be in your neighborhood. SAS would be more do-able UNLESS you found someone that made custom CV's. than long travel would be WAY easier and cheaper than SAS because you the 2x and the 4x kit would be exactly the same except the 4by would come with 2 complete extended high angle CV's

heres a company im familiar with in the baja scene.....these guys do all the trophy trucks. if you look on the front page. those trucks are roughly what my goal is...not so extreme though. but notice they dont have that much lift. flex and absorbency is where its at. these guys jump these trucks and it feels like a speed bump from the cab...anywho, wheres the link

clicky

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 06-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

4th paragraph down. they mention their kit uses 300m shafts with 930 CV's and their rangers are 4x4 and achieve some wicked angles

here

Old 06-19-2010, 05:50 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

oooo new idea! i was talking with jason over at camburg....so we wont have to cut holes in the bed for the shocks to run up....

CANTILEVER!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 AM
DODGE DAKOTA

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
the 5" lift isnt all body but they list it like that for some reason, its actually a 3" body lift with a 2" or 2.5" leveling kit, but for now is your only option, they arnt bad, you do gain qiute a bit from the combo

however, after all the talk thats been going around, i'm kind starting to get the bug to do some work, and may get started on a real 4x4 lift for these trucks...

here is mine with the leveling kit, body lift and 33-12.50's

Hey man i know you posted this a LONG time ago but i was looking at that bumper on your Dakota and i need to know where you got it!! do you still have it? is it for sale? that thing is awesome and i want one!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture003-1.jpg (66.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DODGE DAKOTA
Hey man i know you posted this a LONG time ago but i was looking at that bumper on your Dakota and i need to know where you got it!! do you still have it? is it for sale? that thing is awesome and i want one!
He's not around here much, if at all. Start a new thread and you will get better response. Welcome to DF.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

That bumper was custom made by himself. It's the only way to get a similar front bumper, nothing is available otherwise. Well, there is that Tag Wincher bumper, but it is not a good product.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Neil Hall
Professional

Originally Posted by SinCityTrkGuy
"he should know some guys that make extended high angle CV's."
That's actually what scared me, my wife's grand caravan has thicker CV's than the dakota's front end....
Any idea why they did it like that????
because those shafts are the vehicles MAIN source or propulsion(can't afford failure), our trucks have the drive shaft in the back... just my $0.02

I plan on starting a lift/longtravel kit for my 4x4 in the spring, gonna design it while I'm in university(engineering FTW) and build it after school is done. If I gotta I will almost look into swapping the front diff out for something else that makes adapting different CV's easier, but more than likely a diff drop might be more practical. all i can say is that it's in the design stage now

Last edited by Neil Hall; 08-11-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 dakota slt 4x4 lift kits