3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.7 Exhaust Manifold Studs and Gasket Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Gawd I hour mine never break. Sounds like a total pia!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Designer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Kalp17
think he meant with the leak he started getting better mileage

but i just went and got all the parts and tools i should need

titanium drill bit, EZ-out, gasket, and new bolts(hoping i got the right length)

no parts store had the right bolts i was looking for so i had them measure the bolt that broke off on me and i picked them up at a Busy Beaver...$1.10 a piece...little ridiculous in my opinion but i have them now so should be all set to go...thinking i may just go ahead and check the other side if i can get to it without a whole lot of problems...might as well swap it out now while i have the truck lifted right?
No, my mileage got better after I fixed it. I was getting air leakage in the exhaust and the O2 sensor was picking up lean and was dumping in more gas.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

I too have an exhaust leak on the driver side and probably passenger side as well, going to tackle this project in the coming weeks though I plan to change to headers when I remove all the bolts. Hoping that by doing it helps the truck find it's ***** again, things been noticeably slower as of late.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Designer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Holbrook.Jeremy
I too have an exhaust leak on the driver side and probably passenger side as well, going to tackle this project in the coming weeks though I plan to change to headers when I remove all the bolts. Hoping that by doing it helps the truck find it's ***** again, things been noticeably slower as of late.
Helped mine out, no more sho-sho-sho in the morning on takeoff.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
gjmoran
Captain

how do u know if you have an exhaust leak? mine has a tsking sound in the morning when shes cold and im taking off. once it warms up i cant really hear it though

Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

I've been noticing ticking on cold start ups too... I'm wondering if a damn bolt is messed up on my truck now.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
mikeg87xx
Professional

Im changing my stock headers in the next couple of weeks, I have the gibson stainless steel headers sitting in my living room. I hope nothing goes wrong. This weekend I need to do the HID's I ordered. If I dont break any studs and there arent broken studs as of right now, then i should be able to do this in 2-4 hours Id imagine...

Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

So do our trucks have flanges or ball & socket joints on the manifolds/headers ? I've seen them advertise both ways.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
J.Kalp17

Originally Posted by rebel4055
I've been noticing ticking on cold start ups too... I'm wondering if a damn bolt is messed up on my truck now.
Check your manfold bolts..i heard the same noise and didnt check it and then when i just changed my gasket 2 of my bolts were already broken off

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
J.Kalp17

Originally Posted by gjmoran
how do u know if you have an exhaust leak? mine has a tsking sound in the morning when shes cold and im taking off. once it warms up i cant really hear it though
Sounds like a leak for sure...turn your truck on and pop the hood...run your hand along the manifold to feel for air putting through anywhere...if its not there check your donut gasket or flange on your y pipe...hopefully its there and not the manifold

Quick Reply: 4.7 Exhaust Manifold Studs and Gasket Replaced