3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.7 Exhaust Manifold Studs and Gasket Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4.7 Exhaust Manifold Studs and Gasket Replaced

I figured this is pretty common, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I went to dodge for all the new studs, bolts, and plastic inner-fender clips (I know, I know; insert your recommendation here). You must break the connection between the manifold and catalytic converter first, then after a dousing with WD-40, it all came apart pretty easily. I was lucky to have the entire body of the stud exposed. I think it usually happens this way, but I've heard of them snaping flush with the head and being a real PITA. It backed out with a vise-grip and medium effort. Bolted everything back up with 18-20 lbs of force (about as tight as you can get with a 3/8 socket wrench) on new Fel-Pro gaskets. Here are some mediocre pics.

Wheel, plastic inner fender liner and manifold removed.

0911001248a.jpg

Broke at the drivers side, rear, top.

Busted stud still stuck on the heat shield.

0911001158.jpg

Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long did this take and how many miles are on your truck?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say go out and buy a Power Ball Ticket lol. You were lucky. Everytime i had to replace a broken bolt it was broken off flush.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work man. Travis and i had to do that Saturday after I broke a grade 8 bolt off into my block. I was able to extract it the 1st shot so I was lucky also. I also had to replace both Grade 8 exhaust flange bolts as they were warped.

Anyone who is attempting high HP numbers with these trucks need solid motor mounts. I'm having mine made the 1st week of October once I get back from vacation.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was flush with the block also, you lucky dog!
Headers went back on, though

Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruger226
How long did this take and how many miles are on your truck?
It took about 4 hours, including a trip to auto parts. I have 80,000 miles....but the other side went at 60,000.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
J.Kalp17

I have an 05 Dakota and this just happened to me it has 93,000 miles on it so i cant complain, being that this is the first major project ive had to do to it in the 2 years ive owned it.

I know that i have a leak in my drivers side gasket and when i went to check it out i noticed that one bolt is broken off and another seems to have unthreaded itself and is dangling on the heat shield...kinda looks like the picture above but there are threads at the end too...havent had a real close look yet but im hoping thats the whole bolt and it didnt just break off flush with the head.

plan on doing the fix this weekend if anybody has any advice please let me know...this is the first time ive messed with the manifold on any vehicle so it should be interesting (i am aware that if the bolts are broken off or if i break them off i will need to drill them out and tap a new hole) which a friend of mine can do if need be... my 1 question is what size bolts should i buy to replace the old ones or can i just go to a parts store and they can get them by looking up the year and model?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Designer
Rookie

just replaced the all the exhaust studs... or should I say the dealer replaced them. Going in I knew the driver side rear top stud was broke flush with the manifold... I had them replace both sides since the other side wasn't broken yet but leaking... broke around 85K miles and mine is an '05. funny thing was I started getting 1.5mpg more. guess the O2 sensor was getting a dose of fresh air.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

No u just repaired the leak thus making the exhaust system work properly

Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
J.Kalp17

Originally Posted by varnerhba
No u just repaired the leak thus making the exhaust system work properly
think he meant with the leak he started getting better mileage

but i just went and got all the parts and tools i should need

titanium drill bit, EZ-out, gasket, and new bolts(hoping i got the right length)

no parts store had the right bolts i was looking for so i had them measure the bolt that broke off on me and i picked them up at a Busy Beaver...$1.10 a piece...little ridiculous in my opinion but i have them now so should be all set to go...thinking i may just go ahead and check the other side if i can get to it without a whole lot of problems...might as well swap it out now while i have the truck lifted right?

Quick Reply: 4.7 Exhaust Manifold Studs and Gasket Replaced