3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front CV joint / axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front CV joint / axle replacement

My truck has started clicking around turns so I got underneath and grabbed the front axle half-shafts. The boots do not show signs of failure or leaking, but there is quite a bit of wiggle, and they sound dry, especially on the differential side. My guess is this could be the cause of a lot of my vibration problems too. I'm guessing any wiggle is too much wiggle. Does anybody have any advice on an upgraded product, or installation procedures? I've replaced everything else in the front end, so I'm not a novice Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my cv-shaft went I got one from oreilley brand new for $70 with no core return. For a reman they wanted around $80 plus $30 for the core. 10k miles so far and no problems yet.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced the drivers side axle. It really wasn't too bad.....if you have a little knowledge going in. You do not need to break any of the ball joints or rod-ends. I am planning on getting pics of the other side, but here is how it goes.

1) Take off the wheel
2) Remove the brake caliper and caliper mount. (Hang the caliper out of the way with a piece of wire.
3) Remove the axle nut that holds the axle to the hub/bearing using a 36mm socket and an impact wrench if possible.
4) Remove the 3 bolts from the inside of the steering yoke that hold on the hub/bearing assembly.
4) Remove the hub/bearing assembly. (Now this is the hard part as the hub/bearing assembly does not sit on, but sits in the steering yoke, and they rust fuse together. I recommend an air chisel working around the flat sides of the unit. Stay away from the pointed bolt hole ends so that you don't accidentally hit them and collapse the bolt holes. And try not to tear up the brake dust plate in the process. You can also partially insert the 3 bolts back in and wack them with a hammer from the backside. This whole step took way too long).
5) Smack the tripod-bearing assembly on the differential side of the axle with a hammer to pop it off (there is a plastic retaining clip that on the differential output that you have to overcome)
6) Insert new half shaft onto the differential output and smack the end of the shaft back on and over the plastic retaining clip.
7) Reinstall brake dust shield, hub/bearing, caliper and wheel.

Quick Reply: Front CV joint / axle replacement