3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Question to those with steering wheel radio controls...what radio came in your truck?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question to those with steering wheel radio controls...what radio came in your truck?

OK, I have been battling this for over a week. I have added the remote radio steering wheel controls, and had the RDZ option code added to reprogram my cluster.

The radio (mygig RER added via lockpick adapter) will power on and function fine, except I have NO VOLUME CONTROL, and no front speakers. It also stays on for 3 min AFTER I turn it off (like, taking the keys out of the ignition and walking away from the truck!).

I spent a few hours at my local dealer (who has been patiently working with me on this, so far we spent like 3hrs on it and has charged me $70, good guys..)

Well, I gave up and we tried to remove the RDZ option...no good, DealerConnect will not allow him to remove it!

I am stuck! Here is what I am wondering:

If yo have Factory steering wheel radio controls in your Dakota, what radio did your truck come with? I am almost thinking that the remote wheel controls ONLY CAME WITH THE INFINITY PACKAGE. I am thinking that the amp (via canbus) controls the volume, balance, etc.

I may be screwed here, folks....or I may need to attempt an even bigger project....adding the factory infinity amp and wiring

Sorry for the long post, but appreciate your help!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
eaglescanfly
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have different canbus speeds on different dodge products which means you may have the dip switch in the wrong position but you could also have a high canbus radio too. They made the rer radio for both low and high speed canbus (two different radio's). Find out if you have a high speed canbus mygig cause your truck is a low speed canbus.

I have used a mygig lockpick before and everything worked. The only time it didn't was when those switches were set wrong.

If you have the lock pick document then do the following from it:
"Placing the switch in the wrong position will cause the radio to fail to
turn on. If you accidentally connect the interface with the wrong switch setting, it is recommended
that you turn the car off and completely unplug the interface and radio harness before properly
setting the programming switches on the interface."

This should be what your dip switch on the lock pick should look like:

switch 1 up
switch 2 down
switch 3 down (try it down first if not try it up)
switch 4 up optional it adds ves mode (if you don't want it then put switch 4 down)
switch 5 down optional as well (enables and disables nav input while driving)(down is the default meaning its disabled)

2 questions:

1.) Did your truck come with u-connect in it? If not the on the dip switch your going to have the switch 3 up.

2.) Does the mygig radio work before you put in the lockpick?

I didn't see your other thread before responding to this. When it comes to adding accessories like steering wheel controls there maybe more wires on the wire harness than the regular harness that doesn't have the steering wheel controls. The connectors will be the same but the wire harness maybe not. I have not seen mine.

If you take a look at this search results in ebay you will see multiple rer radios and they will say high speed or low speed in the items description.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Your looking for low speed canbus and if you are trying to put a high speed canbus radio it will not function properly at all.

Last edited by eaglescanfly; 03-03-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well ain't that some s*&^. I don't know anything about car stereos, so my feedback is ill-advised. Sorry to hear of the frustration. If it makes you feel better, last season I was dealing with an ignition demon on the race car. Apparenty MSD doesn't make good stuff for my car. It took me the better part of 3 weeks to determine that a tach adaptor can ruin a $550 DIS II HO ignition box. It ruined two boxes....FML.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

I have the steering wheel controls and the infinity system. Came with a 6 disk CD changer radio, I swapped it out with a single CD from an 06 so I could have the aux. input.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
I am stuck! Here is what I am wondering:

If yo have Factory steering wheel radio controls in your Dakota, what radio did your truck come with? I am almost thinking that the remote wheel controls ONLY CAME WITH THE INFINITY PACKAGE. I am thinking that the amp (via canbus) controls the volume, balance, etc.

I may be screwed here, folks....or I may need to attempt an even bigger project....adding the factory infinity amp and wiring

Sorry for the long post, but appreciate your help!
I got the steering wheel controls and my truck have the infinity system with 6 disc changer....

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
eaglescanfly
Rookie

See I had a base model caliber back in 2007 and it came with the steering wheel controls. My guess is the steering wheels controls is a couple extra wires in the wire harness. The same connector tho to plug things in but is not making a connection cause the wires maybe not there to support it.

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
I got the steering wheel controls and my truck have the infinity system with 6 disc changer....

Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

Thanks for the replies so far! eaglescanfly, I have had the RER installed and working fine for almost a year...until I added the steering wheel controls and had the dealer flash the cluster...

So far, it looks like my dog is not going to have a good day

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
Thanks for the replies so far! eaglescanfly, I have had the RER installed and working fine for almost a year...until I added the steering wheel controls and had the dealer flash the cluster...

So far, it looks like my dog is not going to have a good day
Just send me that dog and i'll train him for you! So you just forget about it and don't get any more headaches

Old 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM
reggier

I have 2006 SLT model V8 High Output. Steering wheel controls with the Alpine system (6 disc changer and Sirius - no aux in)

Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by reggier
I have 2006 SLT model V8 High Output. Steering wheel controls with the Alpine system (6 disc changer and Sirius - no aux in)
do you mean infinity system or did they put alpine systems in the 06's??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question to those with steering wheel radio controls...what radio came in your truck?