3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How much CV Joint play is acceptable?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
seeless85
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much CV Joint play is acceptable?

I think I've narrowed my front end noise to both front half shafts. When turning at low speeds i can hear a squeak or chirping noise. Turning in both directions that is. While doing my oil change today i put my hand on each half shaft between the two rubber boots and there was play moving left and right toward and away from the wheel. There was no play up and down toward and away from the ground. Is play left and right (or in and out) acceptable, and if so how much? Should I let my lifetime powertrain warranty go to work on this one?

Thanks guys!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Is there " in and out" play from the outer joint?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Dude! you got a lifetime powertrain warranty???? It must have been expensive, use it!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no the lifetime power train warrenty was offer by dodge on all new vechicals when the dealerships had the big bankrupcy deals by mom got it on a 08 wrangler

Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Pwall
Veteran

go for the warrenty work the half shafts should have no play in them. if they are clicking or chirping they are getting worn down and if not fixed it can result in failure and the cvs coming apart, you will notice it the most when in 4 wheel and your sending power to the axle

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
seeless85
Rookie

Originally Posted by wingman_214
Is there " in and out" play from the outer joint?

Yes, it seems to be in and out play from both joints on the shaft. If you put your hand on the small part of the shaft between the two boots it goes in and out in both directions and clicks. When driving its a squeaking or chirping sound though, not a clicking noise.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

mine is doing that replaced drive shaft in front. still clicking and chirping

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Originally Posted by seeless85
Yes, it seems to be in and out play from both joints on the shaft. If you put your hand on the small part of the shaft between the two boots it goes in and out in both directions and clicks. When driving its a squeaking or chirping sound though, not a clicking noise.
Replace the joints. The inboard joint is supposed to have in and out play to allow for suspension movement. The outer jount is supposed to be fixed.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

do you have any vibrations? i ask because i thought mine was from the axle. i replaced it but still had the clicking/chirping/vibration...took it to a shop and they could not find it...i loosened up the rear driveshaft the other night at the pinion and moved it around a bit, now I dont have the chirping but I still have the clicking every now and then and the vibration has almost gone away. I wondering it a u-joint could fail in these trucks without coming apart, i.e. lose all the lubrication, squeal, chirp, etc, but still hold together...with no outward signs that it has failed because thats where i've narrowed mine down to....

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-25-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM
seeless85
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
do you have any vibrations? i ask because i thought mine was from the axle. i replaced it but still had the clicking/chirping/vibration...took it to a shop and they could not find it...i loosened up the rear driveshaft the other night at the pinion and moved it around a bit, now I dont have the chirping but I still have the clicking every now and then and the vibration has almost gone away. I wondering it a u-joint could fail in these trucks without coming apart, i.e. lose all the lubrication, squeal, chirp, etc, but still hold together...with no outward signs that it has failed because thats where i've narrowed mine down to....

Yes, I have a vibration at about 50+ mph that is what provoked me to get underneath and try to find the problem(s). The whole truck shakes, I can't tell which end it is really coming from. I thought I threw a wheel weight but they are all still on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much CV Joint play is acceptable?