3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
xtrememedic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse box

Is there a hidden fuse box inside the cab on a 08 dakota..reason for the question is I want to add xtra power outlets in the inside. or can I wire into the power outlet that is already there...thanks for the help

Last edited by xtrememedic; 07-28-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wired into the existing one in my 05 for my Radio, and plan to for 2 extra power outlets, One for my Sat Radio and a spare. I had my Sat radio and GPS wired into one of the outlets in my old 2k dak with no issues.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tap into that power outlet. I would be cautious about how many amps you are going to pull through that wires at that point. Make sure to find out the wire gauge and the specs. Would hate to say someone said its ok and then your truck burns down. Best bet would be to find an open spot in the fuse box and then get one of the add a fuse thingers. Or run a new relay for it.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

the only fuse box is located next to the battery unfortunately..fuse taps work well though. I have some led lights under my dash and i used one of those to power them.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:31 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I spliced into my existing acc power outlet down below the HVAC controls for a second outlet to power my gps all the time and it has worked so far with now issues.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Originally Posted by Eimer123
You can tap into that power outlet. I would be cautious about how many amps you are going to pull through that wires at that point. Make sure to find out the wire gauge and the specs. Would hate to say someone said its ok and then your truck burns down. Best bet would be to find an open spot in the fuse box and then get one of the add a fuse thingers. Or run a new relay for it.

Eimer is correct. This is the proper way to install acc. I used that same fuse tap for my hhr e fan setup.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
xtrememedic

Originally Posted by ericemery
For my interior stuff, I ran a second fuse block into the cab. There is a write up someplace in the FAQ section for it. I just ran a spare piece of 4ga into the cab, and set the fuse block up with that as the power.
If it not to much trouble ..what type of fuse block..how did you get the spare wire into the cab..pic would be nice..I did look in the FAQ section but could not find the write up

Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Some people on here may have just gone thru the firewall but I found that to be rather difficult and annoying. I have off road lights with two wires running to a switch below my radio bezel and also another fuse tap. All i did was run it along the driver side fender and tucked it in then snuck under the weather stripping on the door (just loosen one or two torx bolts and tuck in your wires) once you are by the door remove the panel on the side of the dash on the drivers side and tuck the wire(s) in this hole. Most cars have a fuse box in this area but not our trucks unfortunately. This is a clean and simple way to get wires to the cab. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM
rkircho
Rookie

My backup camera comes on when I apply the brakes. I have the Pioneer 8200 and have hooked up the camera wire to the White/light green wire on the backup light and the backup fuse. Both hookups Still backup camera comes on when applying brakes. What should I hook up the backup camera wire to so just the backup camera comes on when I put it in reverse with the brake applied.

Quick Reply: Fuse box