3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Line Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Hokie John
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Line Disconnect

So I have a 2007 V6 Dodge Dakota, and I'm trying to disconnect one of the transmission cooler lines. Seems like it's some type of quick disconnect setup, but I'm not terribly familiar with these types of connectors. It's definitely a 3/8" line, but I've tried two different kinds of disconnect tools, both the cheap plastic 9 piece autocraft ones, and a metal autocraft one. Neither one seems to have a thin enough sleeve to actually slip into the connector to release it (that is my understanding of how they work). There is so little space between the line and the ring around it, that it just kind of pushes on the ring without going in no matter how hard i push.

I'm also wondering about the little white plastic caps. Are they just a protective cap I need to slide out of the way to operate the connector? Or are they somehow used/needed to actually disengage the connector?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy the tools that go around the tube and slide into the quick disconnect to disconnect the line from the cooler - there are a few varieties of these tools, so you should ask for one to fit - they don't all work on all quick disconnects.

The downloadable service manual (2 volumes) in the sticky post on this forum will give you more information on using this tool. it should be in the transmission chapter.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC you don't need a special tool. It's been over a year since I had mine disconnected, but I believe I pushed in on the hard line while pulling on the plastic part. Kinda like Macro line fittings, if you're familar with them.

If I did use any sort of tool for it, it would have been the plastic fuel line disconnect tools that you get from Lisle Tools, since that's the only quick disconnect tool I own.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokie John
So I have a 2007 V6 Dodge Dakota, and I'm trying to disconnect one of the transmission cooler lines. Seems like it's some type of quick disconnect setup, but I'm not terribly familiar with these types of connectors. It's definitely a 3/8" line, but I've tried two different kinds of disconnect tools, both the cheap plastic 9 piece autocraft ones, and a metal autocraft one. Neither one seems to have a thin enough sleeve to actually slip into the connector to release it (that is my understanding of how they work). There is so little space between the line and the ring around it, that it just kind of pushes on the ring without going in no matter how hard i push.
Yeah, I ran into the same problem. Got around it by just pulling out the small metal C-type retaining clip that actually secures the fitting in. It's kinda like the clip that holds in a window crank, if you know those. Something like this:

I think I used a small flathead screwdriver under the points of the clip to open it up. Probably a needle-nose plier to pull it clear and reinstall.

JUST DON'T LOSE IT!! (It's amazing how something so small and cheap could literally make the difference between cruising and stuck where you sit.)

Originally Posted by Hokie John
I'm also wondering about the little white plastic caps. Are they just a protective cap I need to slide out of the way to operate the connector? Or are they somehow used/needed to actually disengage the connector?
As far as I could tell the caps were only used to ensure the above clip stayed in place. For me, I just slid it back to access the clip. But this might be worth a shot:

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
IIRC you don't need a special tool. It's been over a year since I had mine disconnected, but I believe I pushed in on the hard line while pulling on the plastic part.

Quick Reply: Transmission Line Disconnect