Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 3rd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Dakota 2005+ Dakota's

Transmission Line Disconnect

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Hokie John Hokie John is offline
Registered User
2007 Dodge Dakota
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
Default Transmission Line Disconnect

So I have a 2007 V6 Dodge Dakota, and I'm trying to disconnect one of the transmission cooler lines. Seems like it's some type of quick disconnect setup, but I'm not terribly familiar with these types of connectors. It's definitely a 3/8" line, but I've tried two different kinds of disconnect tools, both the cheap plastic 9 piece autocraft ones, and a metal autocraft one. Neither one seems to have a thin enough sleeve to actually slip into the connector to release it (that is my understanding of how they work). There is so little space between the line and the ring around it, that it just kind of pushes on the ring without going in no matter how hard i push.

I'm also wondering about the little white plastic caps. Are they just a protective cap I need to slide out of the way to operate the connector? Or are they somehow used/needed to actually disengage the connector?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Alfons Alfons is offline
All Star
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 2005 Dakota 4x4 ST
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 939
Default

You can buy the tools that go around the tube and slide into the quick disconnect to disconnect the line from the cooler - there are a few varieties of these tools, so you should ask for one to fit - they don't all work on all quick disconnects.

The downloadable service manual (2 volumes) in the sticky post on this forum will give you more information on using this tool. it should be in the transmission chapter.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Six_Shooter Six_Shooter is offline
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 294
Default

IIRC you don't need a special tool. It's been over a year since I had mine disconnected, but I believe I pushed in on the hard line while pulling on the plastic part. Kinda like Macro line fittings, if you're familar with them.

If I did use any sort of tool for it, it would have been the plastic fuel line disconnect tools that you get from Lisle Tools, since that's the only quick disconnect tool I own.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
erau erau is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie John View Post
So I have a 2007 V6 Dodge Dakota, and I'm trying to disconnect one of the transmission cooler lines. Seems like it's some type of quick disconnect setup, but I'm not terribly familiar with these types of connectors. It's definitely a 3/8" line, but I've tried two different kinds of disconnect tools, both the cheap plastic 9 piece autocraft ones, and a metal autocraft one. Neither one seems to have a thin enough sleeve to actually slip into the connector to release it (that is my understanding of how they work). There is so little space between the line and the ring around it, that it just kind of pushes on the ring without going in no matter how hard i push.
Yeah, I ran into the same problem. Got around it by just pulling out the small metal C-type retaining clip that actually secures the fitting in. It's kinda like the clip that holds in a window crank, if you know those. Something like this:


Click the image to open in full size.


I think I used a small flathead screwdriver under the points of the clip to open it up. Probably a needle-nose plier to pull it clear and reinstall.

JUST DON'T LOSE IT!! (It's amazing how something so small and cheap could literally make the difference between cruising and stuck where you sit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie John View Post
I'm also wondering about the little white plastic caps. Are they just a protective cap I need to slide out of the way to operate the connector? Or are they somehow used/needed to actually disengage the connector?
As far as I could tell the caps were only used to ensure the above clip stayed in place. For me, I just slid it back to access the clip. But this might be worth a shot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
IIRC you don't need a special tool. It's been over a year since I had mine disconnected, but I believe I pushed in on the hard line while pulling on the plastic part.
__________________
2005 ST Club Cab 4X2, 3.7L V6, Auto, 3.55 gears
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2