3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Battery Terminal Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Remark
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Battery Terminal Corrosion

My new 2011 Bighorn 4.7, purchased 10-31-2011 with 675 miles on it is already pissing me off.
I changed the oil and filter to full synthetic with a premium filter. My intent is to change at every 5,000 mile increment of the odometer.
Fortunately I had read posts about others oil change experience and was prepared for the filter and pan to both have a crossmember under them.
What pissed me off was finding the negative battery terminal corroded.
It looks like the battery is probably defective and acid is wicking up the post.
Now I have to go through the hassel of trying to get it all replaced by a dealer.

UPDATE:01/31/2011
Finally made it to the local dealer today. They wouldn't do anything for me.
I did find out that they stock the terminals, but wanted me to pay the $14.95 for one.
I told them where they could put it.
I went back home, cleaned the terminal in baking soda solutoin, wire brushed it and re-installed it dry (no grease).
I had been getting messages on my answering machine from the Chrysler Assistance Center that I complained to about the same time I first posted here. I never bothered to call back.
They called again today and I answered the phone. I told the guy what was going on and we agreed that I will leave the terminal the way I have it and if it corrodes again, Chrysler will replace the battery.
Now that's what I call customer service.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Terminal_Cleaned.jpg (90.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Remark; 01-31-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

whoa, yea. Get them to replace that. That's pure acid right there, the clamp won't last long with a leak like that. I wouldn't clean it at all, hopefully you didn't already. Let them see that, they will get you a new one and maybe a new clamp too, just as a courtesy to a customer. Blame the battery not the truck:P

Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
rebel4055
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When our truck was bought brand new back in 06 we had to deal with corrosion on the negative. Don't know why but it always got nasty in a short period of time. We just recently had to get a new battery and so far the terminal has stayed perfectly clean.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Using those little felt pads under your terminals actually does work really well..I don't have them on my truck but I know they work and are only about $2. Have Dodge replace that battery though, that's not fair man.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 AM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Using those little felt pads under your terminals actually does work really well..I don't have them on my truck but I know they work and are only about $2. Have Dodge replace that battery though, that's not fair man.
had my one of my posts corroding last summer and i replaced the battery and also put this felt pads on both posts. havent seen any corrosion since. really inexpensive for those pads and they do help.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 AM
durapu
Professional

make extra sure even if they replace the battery to get those cables totally clean .. use some Baking soda in warm water and scrub the entire end with an old tooth brush .. when you are done rinse is all down with clean water .. then let dry .. put felt washers on and reconnect battery .. repeat when and if needed

Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 AM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by durapu
make extra sure even if they replace the battery to get those cables totally clean .. use some Baking soda in warm water and scrub the entire end with an old tooth brush .. when you are done rinse is all down with clean water .. then let dry .. put felt washers on and reconnect battery .. repeat when and if needed
Baking soda and coke work really great if ya got some around the house. You can even coat the terminals with vaseline for protection. I personally have battery terminal cleaner which just foams and i just clean it off with a rag, wire brush for those heavy duty situations. Then i use battery terminal protector or dielectric grease for protection. You dont gotta go all out but just some suggestions.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Remark
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrenicX
whoa, yea. Get them to replace that. That's pure acid right there, the clamp won't last long with a leak like that. I wouldn't clean it at all, hopefully you didn't already. Let them see that, they will get you a new one and maybe a new clamp too, just as a courtesy to a customer. Blame the battery not the truck:P
No I haven't cleaned the terminal. I want the service dept to see it first.
I called them and asked if they had a battery and terminal before I made the trip.
I had to call the parts department myself to find out.
They have a battery but the terminal is not serviced separate from the wiring harness.
I emailed the photos to the service department for a preliminary analysis but they have as yet to reply.
The terminal is a bolt on and that type is available in parts stores.
Not exactly like the OEM but should work.
I was already pissed at the truck. It's not near the truck my '95 SLT was.
I have a long list, but the main fault is access to the rear of the cab. My rear doors only swing 90 degrees and it's more difficult to load stuff than the ''95 without doors.
Anyone know where I can find set of the 170 degree hinges cheap. A new set is in the $600 range.
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll post what I finally do.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Remark
Anyone know where I can find set of the 170 degree hinges cheap. A new set is in the $600 range.
Didn't the 95 also have tilt-up seats too? those were nice in the Blazer I had, made a lot of sense.. where'd that sense stuff go these days?

For the hinges, you could try a junk yard, look for mid-'06 and up. None of my junk yards have anything that new, but I hear other regions have better luck.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 AM
rapta619
Professional

One thing my moms Dakota has that I'm soooo jealous about is the 170 degree doors. And the aux jack.

Btw, congrats on being one of what 15,000 2011 Dakota owners... Man after 05 the sales took a dump.

Quick Reply: Battery Terminal Corrosion