3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Road Noise; what could it be????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Noise; what could it be????

So on my Dakota, I have been experiencing some sort of road noise, but I can't really pin-point it.

It gets progressivley louder as I speed up and it sounds like what Heavy A/T or M/T's would. It can be best described as a windy whirrr like noise.
Also, when I go over a bridge or a larger bump my truck floats like a caddy due to the shocks and struts being shot. But when I do that the Whirr Noise is louder everytime my truck is putting more downward pressure on the road(if that makes sense)

I have 8000 mile Old Bridgestone Dueler 245/75/16" (a bit narrow for our trucks) they have been rotated twice at the place I bought them. These are "supposedly" the quietest A/T's bridgestone makes. They told me there was a bit of wear around the edges of the tire but otherwise they are perfect and my alignment is good as well.

Could it be that I have 2 bad hubs bearings and 2 bad axle bearings all around. My fronts show no sign of wear when I grab 6 & 12 and shake it?
Or could my Drum brakes be rubbing just enough to make some noise?
I dont know what it is but it is driving me nuts

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like a wheel bearing or differential. Have you checked the fluid in the differential?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Sounds like a wheel bearing or differential. Have you checked the fluid in the differential?
Ooops, I forgot to put in there that I just had my rear-diff replaced... but that is a different noise that I am hearing. I brought it back to the guy who did it 2 times, and he said "your tires are so loud".... ???!?!?!! so it has got me searching for everything.

but I guess I could check the front diff fluid level, as I haven't done that.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DM_kota
So on my Dakota, I have been experiencing some sort of road noise, but I can't really pin-point it.

It gets progressivley louder as I speed up and it sounds like what Heavy A/T or M/T's would. It can be best described as a windy whirrr like noise.
Also, when I go over a bridge or a larger bump my truck floats like a caddy due to the shocks and struts being shot. But when I do that the Whirr Noise is louder everytime my truck is putting more downward pressure on the road(if that makes sense)

I have 8000 mile Old Bridgestone Dueler 245/75/16" (a bit narrow for our trucks) they have been rotated twice at the place I bought them. These are "supposedly" the quietest A/T's bridgestone makes.
I have Bridgestone Dueller Alenzas, and from day one they have been loud inside the cabin. It sounds like what I remember riding inside a school bus used to sound like. 30,000 miles later and not much tread life remaining, they're even louder now without the additional rubber. They're good tires, but I can't wait to get rid of them for a quieter set. (The stock Goodyears, while very quiet, were crap quality.)

Originally Posted by DM_kota
They told me there was a bit of wear around the edges of the tire
This sounds like they have been running under-inflated, and could be amplifying the tire noise.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

The trim around the windshield going bad can cause a lot of road noise. That is happening to me right now. They are expensive though (about $40 a piece)

Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by erau
I have Bridgestone Dueller Alenzas, and from day one they have been loud inside the cabin. It sounds like what I remember riding inside a school bus used to sound like. 30,000 miles later and not much tread life remaining, they're even louder now without the additional rubber. They're good tires, but I can't wait to get rid of them for a quieter set. (The stock Goodyears, while very quiet, were crap quality.)
Firestone told me to run them for a few weeks after roation and if there is still some noise, bring them in...( I told them I wasn't happy with a "quiet" tire that sounds like a BFG All terrain TA)

Originally Posted by erau
This sounds like they have been running under-inflated, and could be amplifying the tire noise.
That could easy be, I don't recall checking the pressure in the last 4 months (cool to warm here and I have been gone alot) they are now at nominal after my rotation.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM
DM_kota
Professional

well this show you how much I actullay drive it if it has taken me this long to get to checking it.

I took off the wheel the front right hub is fine, but the brake pads were dragging something feirce. I have ordered a rebuild kit from Rockauto, and some Ceramic brake pads to replace the crappy metallic ones I mistakenly got at Autozone.....

so we will see if that helps it any. The caliper would press out, but does not retreat all that fast. That makes me hope rebuilding will take care of it.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
DM_kota
Professional

so brakes are not the issue... running out of things to repair

I get noise when I turn to the left over 30 mph, but if I turn to the right, it all goes silent. So which wheel hub-bearing could it be? I am told its opposites, noise turn left- right bearing. Nosie turn right, left bearing?

Is that correct?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

That seems right in my thinking. Doesn't the weight of the truck transfer to the right around a left hand turn?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
DM_kota
Professional

since I only have one hub, I am going to put the truck on stands and take both wheels off and the brakes and spin them try to figure which hub is the "noisy one" and replace it and run down the road.

If it is just as bad then I might just have to replace them both ( which I really don't want to do)

Quick Reply: Road Noise; what could it be????