Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 3rd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Dakota 2005+ Dakota's

2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Graeter Graeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Default 2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy

I bought a super-clean silver quad cab TRX4 4.7l Dakota about a month ago. I am using it as a daily driver to occasionally tow my miata to and from the track etc.

Well, I expected poor gas mileage and don`t care too much about it, but I figure if I can improve it, I might as well to save some money in the long run. I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while.

What I am thinking about doing is a K&N intake and a superchip. This also can help me with my towing which is an added bonus if I need it. Are they worth it? What else is worth it?

For those that care, I have done the following so far on the truck:
- Window Vents
- Electronic Trailer Brake Controller
- Put on all the necessary towing stuff (class iv receiver, 7 pin wiring)
- Soft tonneau cover
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
MitsuRaider's Avatar
MitsuRaider MitsuRaider is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Raider V8
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 839
pixaboy
Default

External tranny coolers are cheap, easy to install and effective. Also it seems like you will be doing a lot of towing. Get one of those.

I never used superchip but forum members swear by them.

Might also want to change gears for something more tow friendly

What is a window vent?
__________________


Miami, V8 Dodge Raider
H.O Cams, 180 Stat, #39 Cobra Injectors, Turbocharged 4.7 Magnum. EMS 8860 standalone.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
superdak05's Avatar
superdak05 superdak05 is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2005 dodge dakota
Location: ct.
Posts: 4,379
Default

check to see what gears are in the truck, open the glove box and see what the sheet says, if they are 3.55, get rid of them, I went with the 4.10 and love them,
__________________
thats right i did it ,so what, cry two tears in a bucket, f@#$ it, lets take it to the stage

13.7 / 101.3 in the 1/4 mile
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Graeter Graeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuRaider View Post
External tranny coolers are cheap, easy to install and effective. Also it seems like you will be doing a lot of towing. Get one of those.

I never used superchip but forum members swear by them.

Might also want to change gears for something more tow friendly

What is a window vent?
I was looking into the tranny coolers. Do the 5speeds have cooling issues with towing?

The gears are 3.92. I figured that wasn`t too bad especially with OEM tire size. Should I still look into better gears?

The window vents are referring to the window visors or w/e you want to call them as shown here:
http://cdn1.autopartsnetwork.com/ima...R-IN-CHANN.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Graeter Graeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdak05 View Post
check to see what gears are in the truck, open the glove box and see what the sheet says, if they are 3.55, get rid of them, I went with the 4.10 and love them,
Probably should have multi-quoted, but it came with 3.92s because of the TRX4 package. I figure that should be good (one of the reasons I bought it).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM
northgator8's Avatar
northgator8 northgator8 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 2008 Dakota SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, 4.7l V8
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Posts: 550
Default You Make Me Laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeter View Post
Well, I expected poor gas mileage and don`t care too much about it, but I figure if I can improve it, I might as well to save some money in the long run. I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while.
I think that Joke Posts (like using the words Fuel Economy and 4.7L in the same line) are supposed to go in the General Discussion Forum!

I think that the best way to reduce the fuel used is to stop pressing so hard on the long skinny peddle - but it is just so darned fun!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
jkeaton's Avatar
jkeaton jkeaton is offline
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: Various
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 14,146
Kent Eaton
Default

Not much you can do on the mileage front. Some members have resorted to removing weight, etc. But only 1-2 mpg gains are seen. A CAI and low restriction exhaust are your best bets. Superchips tuner improves performance, but mileage suffers because your always on the gas wondering why the dang trucks dont come from the factory like that...lol. Babying mine, the most I ever got was around 20 mpg on a trip. 15-17 around town. Towing your lucky if you break 15. It's a big, heavy truck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM
06Dak4.7Silver's Avatar
06Dak4.7Silver 06Dak4.7Silver is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4.7
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,656
steveruel
Default

welcome to the forum, sounds like you got started off on the right foot. please post pictures of your TRX4!
__________________

Superchips 3865*Hipotek TB*K&N Filter*Airaid Intake Tube*Magnaflow 12256*Sonnax*NGK 4644*Monroe Struts & RS5000 + 2" leveling kit*HHR Fan/Derale*180 T-stat*Nitto 420S 265/50/20
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM
slicktrick's Avatar
slicktrick slicktrick is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2008 ram 2500 SLT 4x4 quad cab
Location: virginia
Posts: 182
Default

mileage,towing & dakota 4.7......yeah,the cai,exhaust & superchips help,but its no hemi.
yes, it will do the job,but neither towing or mileage is real impressive to be honest.
i pull a 18 ft triton bass boat with mine & it makes me wish i still had my old ram......or a new diesel,lol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
kjpark kjpark is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota Slt quad cab 4.7l v8 2wd
Location: memphis, tennessee
Posts: 162
Default

the first thing i did when i got the truck was drop in aem and delta 40 exhaust from cat back(removed all resonators too). my mpg went up 3 at most. really im not a big cai fan, since for $100 you can get a box drop in and your own straight pipe from the tb to box, half the price as k&n. Also its mixed but i hear bed covers make mpg worse in most cases, only b/c factory they built the truck to be made without one..just a thought.
__________________
2006 Dodge Dakota SLT qc v8 2wd -short ram cone intake, 2" coil spacer, 265/70-17 hancook dynapro ats, delta 40 exhaust, ranchos all round

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Graeter Graeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgator8 View Post
I think that Joke Posts (like using the words Fuel Economy and 4.7L in the same line) are supposed to go in the General Discussion Forum!

I think that the best way to reduce the fuel used is to stop pressing so hard on the long skinny peddle - but it is just so darned fun!
Yea, I actually haven`t been bad on it (last tank with about 75% freeway I got 19.5 mpg.

But I know I expected the economy and I`m not complaining, just figure if I can improve it, I might as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Not much you can do on the mileage front. Some members have resorted to removing weight, etc. But only 1-2 mpg gains are seen. A CAI and low restriction exhaust are your best bets. Superchips tuner improves performance, but mileage suffers because your always on the gas wondering why the dang trucks dont come from the factory like that...lol. Babying mine, the most I ever got was around 20 mpg on a trip. 15-17 around town. Towing your lucky if you break 15. It's a big, heavy truck.
I refuse to remove weight. I got a racecar for that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver View Post
welcome to the forum, sounds like you got started off on the right foot. please post pictures of your TRX4!
When I get it cleaned up again, I`ll take some pictures and post it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktrick View Post
mileage,towing & dakota 4.7......yeah,the cai,exhaust & superchips help,but its no hemi.
yes, it will do the job,but neither towing or mileage is real impressive to be honest.
i pull a 18 ft triton bass boat with mine & it makes me wish i still had my old ram......or a new diesel,lol.
Yea. To me, it came down to money and not wanting to fork over the big bucks for a clean turbo diesel. In the future I will, but I`m still in college and don`t want to have the truck payment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpark View Post
the first thing i did when i got the truck was drop in aem and delta 40 exhaust from cat back(removed all resonators too). my mpg went up 3 at most. really im not a big cai fan, since for $100 you can get a box drop in and your own straight pipe from the tb to box, half the price as k&n. Also its mixed but i hear bed covers make mpg worse in most cases, only b/c factory they built the truck to be made without one..just a thought.
I understand what you are talking about, but I didn`t get the cover for mpg, but rather for storage/etc. The difference should be basically somewhat negligible if anything.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 8,253
Default

Tonneau covers have actually been proven to increase mileage very slightly, 0.25 to 0.5 MPG, in most cases with pickups, although I am not aware that a Dakota was specifically tested. Its lowering the tailgate down (uninformed farmers and ranchers around here still think they gain mileage by doing that) that actually decreases mileage.

Superchips can increase mileage... if you keep your foot out of it. As others stated, you probably won't be able to.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
dakotaff's Avatar
dakotaff dakotaff is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 06 SLT 4.7 4x4
Location: Jersey
Posts: 3,079
Default

I can't even bring myself to look at the mpg display anymore. Every time I do, I just laugh. Between the SC and Magnaflow, I keep pushing that gas pedal again & again.
But with the 3.55's, I can see over 20 mpg on the highway if I really try, which never seems to last long for me.

And, Welcome aboard.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM
viper359 viper359 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota
Location:
Posts: 171
Default

These fuel mileage posts always make me laugh. I always think to myself....I should be doing this stuff. Then, once I hope in my truck, I drive it like I stole it. Hell, I cannot get on a hi-way without driving like I am trying to best my previous 0-100.

I have got to admit though, I beat the living crap out of this truck, every day, and it holds up. I burn gas like a ****, but, it holds up. My EVIC displays about 20L per 100KM, but I am sure its higher than that. Most of my driving is city and inter city hi-way.

120K on it, and just a front end replacement, which I am sure would have been needed even if I drove it like my grampa drives, new brakes all around, and tires. I cannot complain one bit.
__________________
2006 Dodge Dakota
SLT V-08 Quad Cab
Canary Yellow On Black
Rear Window Tints
Nokian WR 245/16/R70 Tires
Silverstar Headlights
XM Sat Radio, Direct Power Wired
Black (04) Dodge Floor Mats

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
06whitedak's Avatar
06whitedak 06whitedak is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 06 DAKOTA M/T 4X4 SLT
Location: SAINT LOUIS, MISSOURI
Posts: 56
MY NAME EG94H22
Default

i keep seeing this 15-18 mpg. which has got me thinking theres something wrong with mine cuz im only getting 12-13 average. ugh!!
__________________
2006 DODGE DAKOTA SLT 6 SPEED MANUAL 4 WHEEL DRIVE. 100% STOCK TILL FURTHER NOTICE. CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Jaded's Avatar
Jaded Jaded is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2005 Dakota Laramie
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 623
Default

12-13 would have me looking for problems.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
zcg4755 zcg4755 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1993 Dodge Ram D150
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06whitedak View Post
i keep seeing this 15-18 mpg. which has got me thinking theres something wrong with mine cuz im only getting 12-13 average. ugh!!
I average between 13-15. I couldn't get over 14 all summer. The best I ever did was 16.7 (80% highway). The truck is brand new, so I couldn't imagine any serious problems. Makes me wish they offered the 5.7L as an option. My dad averages 15-17 in his 2012 Ram 1500.
__________________
1993 Dodge Ram D150 5.7L V8
2014 Dodge Dart GT 2.4L L4
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
06Dak4.7Silver's Avatar
06Dak4.7Silver 06Dak4.7Silver is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4.7
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,656
steveruel
Default

I just filled up and calculated 18.4 which is my new high..I have been recording since July. I can post dates and fuel economy statistics here if you guys like. I drive the truck how it should be driven with some burnt rubber on occasion and high RPM straightaways on occasion. I do a lot of highway driving though! However, I also hit a decent amount of traffic on the freeway
__________________

Superchips 3865*Hipotek TB*K&N Filter*Airaid Intake Tube*Magnaflow 12256*Sonnax*NGK 4644*Monroe Struts & RS5000 + 2" leveling kit*HHR Fan/Derale*180 T-stat*Nitto 420S 265/50/20
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
06whitedak's Avatar
06whitedak 06whitedak is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 06 DAKOTA M/T 4X4 SLT
Location: SAINT LOUIS, MISSOURI
Posts: 56
MY NAME EG94H22
Default

mines the 4.7l 6 speed and im running 265-70-17 tires which doesnt help but it should be more then where im at. i need to pull the plugs see what they look like and run a fuel system cleaning and air intake cleaning and go from there!
__________________
2006 DODGE DAKOTA SLT 6 SPEED MANUAL 4 WHEEL DRIVE. 100% STOCK TILL FURTHER NOTICE. CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
gjmoran gjmoran is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 615
Gabriel Moran JOLLYNUTS
Send a message via ICQ to gjmoran Send a message via AIM to gjmoran Send a message via MSN to gjmoran
Default

yep i avg around 12-16 mpg myself, i do a **** ton of city driving (live around LA, and also do service calls everyday w/ my truck) the most ive ever seen was around 19+ mpg and that was rolling down hill with the engine off on my way to san diego 100+ miles away (jk was just babying the gas pedal)
__________________
Mods: Aftermarket stereo/speakers; Magnaflow exhaust dumped straight down, no resos; CAI; Fastman 69mm TB; + more to come!!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails