3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Turn signal multifuntion switch erratic 2008+ writeup

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
clayh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal multifuntion switch erratic 2008+ writeup

So, the wife's Dak started acting up on her last week. Turn left it signals right and vice/versa. After doing so reading it pointed to a bad mulitfunction(turn signal switch) which also controls the hazard lights, high beams and wiper functions.

Called NAPA and new one one was $85. Apparently there was a recall for this switch on some Rams but as I hate taking my truck in and it being a cheap part I did myself.

Pretty easy, need a T15 and phillips screw drivers and 10 and 13mm sockets.
I was told that you didn't need to pull the steering wheel/air bag but I can confirm that for a 2008 you do. However its easy.

First pop the hood, go into the fuse box and pull up both air bag fuses, they have a yellow cage around them. Just pull them up, not right out. Now pull off the negative cable. This will prevent the airbag from going off in your face should you poke the wrong thing.

Remove the 3 t15 screws from the bottom of the steering wheel shroud as well as the one holding the tilt lever on. Remove the covers. Take two bolts out the backside of the side of the steering wheel, this allows the air bag to come off, carefully undo the wires at the airbag side of the harness. Some wires have locking clips on them. Just take your time with a pick and nothing will get broken.

From here is pretty self explanatory, on my truck after undoing the wiring for the steering wheel radio controls and removing the center shaft bolt I was able to pull the wheel right off the shaft by pulling and wiggling. Some might need to use a steering wheel puller. When going back on it has an index spline that needs to be matched up.

Was under an hour taking my time.

Quick Reply: Turn signal multifuntion switch erratic 2008+ writeup