3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 PM
cncman40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control

What fuse or relay controls the cruise??? My 06 dakota cruise won't work, but the light shows up on the dash when you turn the cruise on...wondering if there is a fuse or relay I should check first...

Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
LoCatus
Rookie

Light comes on so you have power (At least at the dash end). So...

First, I'd check the vacuum line running to the actuator. Passenger side just behind the radiator overflow tank. Line and cable run up along the inner fender under the air cleaner (And that's where I lost sight of the thing on mine) LoL

It's a fairly small diameter line, if damaged there's a real good chance you won't hear the leak. Pay close attention to the rubber ends checking for rot/cracks.

Then there's the obvious question. Is the cable still properly connected to the throttle or broke? A very rare thing, but it can happen.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Also make sure the servo under the air cleaner box is plugged in.

Do your taillights work properly? If the brake lights are sticking, that would prevent the cruise from engaging, caused by the microswitch on the brake pedal.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year of Dakota do you have, 06+ Dont have Servos. They are a electronic Throttle controlled by the computer, The brake switch as stated could cause it to not engage.

05 Dakotas have Servos, and such.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

not all 06's have electronic throttle, mine doesn't. I'm having the same issue, I will have to check all of this stuff when it stops pouring outside. Especially the vacuum lines going to the throttle body I just took it off to clean it.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
What year of Dakota do you have, 06+ Dont have Servos. They are a electronic Throttle controlled by the computer, The brake switch as stated could cause it to not engage.

05 Dakotas have Servos, and such.
Only the 08 and up have electronic throttle my 07 is cable controlled

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcsnyder05
Only the 08 and up have electronic throttle my 07 is cable controlled
No, There are 07 that are Electronic, As people with 07's have added Cruise Control and only required the Steering Wheel Switches and StarScan.

I did a quick search online, and Found TONS of stuff on 07 ETC, But nothing for 06's
Also I have looked around on here, and It appears I was wrong, its 07+, Not 06.

Altho I found one on here blaming the Brake Pedal Switch. So I would replace it and see if that fixes it, Along with checking the Vacuum lines and Servo

Last edited by Reject; 09-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Cnallard

I was just wondering the same thing. my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 cruise control has given me problems before once in a while. When I hit the button it does not like up and does not work. If I restart my vehicle it would start working again. Now as of this past week it no longer comes on anymore and I'm miserable with out it. I don't know a whole lot about mechanics but I see some people have been mentioning brakes along with cruise control, my bf just put on new pads a week and half ago. Could he have done something to throw off cruise control? I'm really just hoping for a fuse I can replace. But, I wont be that lucky will I?

Quick Reply: Cruise control