3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Seat Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
MoparPower00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Cover Removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the front seat covers?? I have a 05 with heated leather seats, and am wanting to replace the drivers side cover with a new one (all ripped up). I am getting a used cover from a salvage truck.

Is there a way to remove the seat covers without taking the whole seat out of the truck. With all the wiring and crap under the seat, I want to do the least amount of work as possible.

I've heard somewhere that there are like 6 "clip like things" the hold the cover on but dont want to screw anything up.

Any info from someone who's replaced a leather cover or put in a leather cover on there's to replace a cloth one would be great!

Thanks
MoparPower00

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't taken any Dakota seats apart, but have taken apart Jeep and Chev Truck seats and they all take a fair amount of dismantling to get to the point where you can take the upholstery off. All the plastic needs to be removed (sometimes it's popped on, othertimes it has screws - a trim removing tool set is good to have), and then you can get to the point of undoing the upholstery fastening. This fastening is generally some type of ring, like a round split chain link. For the few seats I've taken apart, I've had to remove the seats from the vehicle to do this, so if you can get some seats just like yours that are in good shape, I'd recommend swapping them - you just need to deal with a few bolts and connectors and it takes a lot less time.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

remove tilt handle from the seat and look under the back of the backrest on the bottom of the seat there is a black plastic tab that is the width of the seat that slides into another plastic piece. You will have to pull this apart. there is a similar setup between the backrest and the seat cushion. If you undo these clips you can slide the material off the seat and replace it. A trick is to put a plastic bag between the foam and the cover to make the foam slide back on easier.

if all else fails look in the service manual. there are diagrams https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...s-manuals.html

Quick Reply: Seat Cover Removal