3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.7 oil leak @ crankshaft pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Robk1971
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Edward
I realize this thread is a year old now, but did either of you do the replacement, and as for the shop manual on this forum, where can I find that. Mine just started leaking and takes about 3 months to go down 1/2 qt of oil. Would like to look at the manual and decide from there which way to go. Any help is appreciated.
I wish I could say yes, but I have not done it yet. Fortunately the leak hasn't got worse and I've only had to top off the oil maybe three times. I change my oil quite often so it hasn't been much of an issue for me. I'll do it once the weather warms up and I start riding my bike and driving my van.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 AM
King Edward

Northgator8, Thank you this will help in my decision making greatly.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM
King Edward

Originally Posted by Robk1971
I wish I could say yes, but I have not done it yet. Fortunately the leak hasn't got worse and I've only had to top off the oil maybe three times. I change my oil quite often so it hasn't been much of an issue for me. I'll do it once the weather warms up and I start riding my bike and driving my van.

Glad to hear yours still going good. Wish someone on here had done this so could hear and maybe see more details on the repair. Mine not bad on oil usage, but since it sees a bit of off pavement use, think I'll be doing it sooner than later. Will post back if do it myself or just pay someone.

This site is great though, glad I found it.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM
King Edward
Unhappy Not working

Originally Posted by northgator8
The manual is here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...s-manuals.html

In the sticky that says "service and parts manuals" at the top of the page.

I can't download the manual, my virus protection says it is infected with a virus named W32.sape.cloud9.5 and c1.getapplicationmy.info. I'm sure it probably wasn't like this originally, but possibly someone hacked it and installed this. Does anyone else have these files and the ability to post them here. Also these links
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CIaZ0NwI
2006-2008 Dakota
http://www.berrysprinter.com/e-Fiche...06-09/06nd.PDF
are dead. They won't open the destination pages.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

mine seems to leak too..111k on the clock. quite a mess under there when I was under it last week but my oil level doesn't get affected very much. normal top offs are required

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

btw $150 at the dealership? that would be pretty hard to believe unless it only takes them an hour with the specialty tool. hell, I'd ship mine there to avoid any issues if that was a true price

Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM
King Edward

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
btw $150 at the dealership? that would be pretty hard to believe unless it only takes them an hour with the specialty tool. hell, I'd ship mine there to avoid any issues if that was a true price

Ya, called dealer today for estimate, and was quoted approx. $450.

Still looking for a service manual to see what's involved. New part is only $12 at Autozone.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

Front seal is very easy to replace and aprox $10.00 for the seal.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM
backinadodge

108k and mine is starting to seep a bit at the seal also. Added to the growing list of repairs needed this spring.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
King Edward
Talking Too Early?

Guess I've been a little rough with mine or something, just a hair over 85k on mine and it's already started leaking. I finally got ahold of the service manual, doesn't look too hard except the special tools. After seeing it I remember doing one many moons ago on a Ford Bronco, didn't have special tools, but also don't remember how I removed the old one. Putting new one in was easy enough, just need to remember how I got the old one out. If I figure out how to upload it, I will post the Service Manual.

Quick Reply: 4.7 oil leak @ crankshaft pulley?