3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Little shaking when driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM
kjpark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little shaking when driving

So i just installed new rotors(old ones were warped), pads, and rotated my tires. I drove it around and for some reason i notice a subtle amount of bounciness or vibration in the front while driving. It only happens while driving, i might feel it a little while braking but i think its just from that. I re positioned all the tires to the hub and nothing changed.

1) It happens at all speeds so i eliminated wheel balance(if they were unbalanced i would have known before).

2) Brakes are smooth and i don't believe my calipers are sticking(how do i check that?)

Could tie rod ends cause any vibration? I believe there were replaced before i got the truck. Also i have no sway bars up front, but the vibration up front can't be from not having it, i've been driving without it for a year at least.

Im sure it wasn't driving like this before so Any ideas would be much appreciated

Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Neil Hall
Professional

To rule out the tires try switching them back before you rotated them, see what happens. Sounds like a possible balljoint in my opinion. Stuck calipers are sometimes hard to diagnose, usually you can smell the pads burning from the friction. They should be inspected and lubed during brake replacement.. if tie rods were bad you should be able to notice it in your steering.

Last edited by Neil Hall; 04-19-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 AM
kjpark
Professional

just an update, checked the truck and worked with it again, the shaking went away, i drove to the smoothest road i could find(memphis roads are crap). Ill double check on those ball joints

Quick Reply: Little shaking when driving