3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

reliable gas additive?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Neil Hall
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliable gas additive?

currently I use Lucas oil fuel additive and I like how it works. however I got bored at work and began reading different articles online about different types of fuel additives. I hope this doesn't "stir the pot" too much, but, I encourage people too give this link a read and chime in their EDUCATED opinion. I think I may give this a test just too see what happens... why not... anyone else willing too try? I was going too try 5oz per tank(22gal tank).

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I got some acetone from the beauty supply a couple years ago and ran it. Seemed to help a little, but not worth it imo. Theres a couple horror stories about clogged cats and such I've seen from using it also.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on the additive, it can cost more than its worth usually. I run some fuel injector cleaner every 25,000 miles or so in my vehicles, and thats about the only additive I ever use.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Same here, I run the lucas stuff about every 10th tank.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Same here, I run the lucas stuff about every 10th tank.
So about every two weeks . . . .

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8

Thats about right...lol

Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Neil Hall
Professional

Originally Posted by northgator8

haha defiantly! I decided that I will go along with the test after my next fill up. thankfully I reset my tripmeter after every fill up so I will have my baseline mpg without any acetone. Then next week when I refill I will add 6oz of acetone to the tank and record the results to post. I was curious if anyone would like to try this along with me for more accurate results....?

from my prior calculated averages I have been getting around 11.5mpg with my 2005 dakota 4.7 4x4 quadcab SLT. My plans are to replace all the oxygen sensors in the future once weather improves and i finished the acetone test. I may also test with the lucas additive, Zmax, and a couple other off the shelf products.(I work at an autoparts store so i get the stuff for a cheap/free price). I also plan to test the HHO gas thing that I have read about just too see what's up in that area.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i have been using marvel mystery oil in my gas for over 30 years. the biggest thing it does is lube the valves, pistons. my engine starts very fast. i think the engine life is in creased allso. use 4 oz in 10 gal of fuel. some people say to not use it in diesel fuel, but this is from a know it all guy. the report he sites is not as bad as he says. check out. http://www.ampcolubes.com/ for a automatic system, i use one. i will not be with out it

Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Hall
My plans are to replace all the oxygen sensors in the future once weather improves and i finished the acetone test.
The only ones you need to really worry about are the two in front of the catalytic converters. They are the ones that help adjust the A/F ratio. The two after the converters pretty much just tell the computer if the converters are failing.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Neil Hall
Professional

Originally Posted by jasonw
The only ones you need to really worry about are the two in front of the catalytic converters. They are the ones that help adjust the A/F ratio. The two after the converters pretty much just tell the computer if the converters are failing.
noted. you just saved me 60 bucks on two downstream sensors! I'll use that towards my LSD swap! (which i just ordered)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reliable gas additive?