3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default fuel pump

2005 dakota with 145000 miles, dodge states to swap out pump at 80000 miles, well has anyone had theirs fail and how much was it to swap out, kinda curious because the miles are getting up there and I dont wanna get stuck in no mans land and needing a tow.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 PM
LoCatus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Questions to ask yourself.. Is your truck still running as it should? Any codes being thrown complaining about fuel pressure/flow, intermittent misfire? If no, Keep driving.

The pump assemblies for these are quite expensive. And a PIA to replace.
Recommended replacement as the filter is part of the assembly for some stupid reason.

Guess long story short.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LoCatus
Questions to ask yourself.. Is your truck still running as it should? Any codes being thrown complaining about fuel pressure/flow, intermittent misfire? If no, Keep driving.

The pump assemblies for these are quite expensive. And a PIA to replace.
Recommended replacement as the filter is part of the assembly for some stupid reason.

Guess long story short.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I am not there yet, I but I agree. If it isn't broke don't fix it!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LoCatus
That stupid reason is because the strainer is the only filtration in the entire fuel system. There is no external filter to replace on our trucks.

A Denso pump and strainer kit from Advance Auto Parts is $138. Personally, since Superdak is on the squeeze, I would recommend a Walbro 255HP. I used one of those for years in my race car and made over 450whp on ethanol with it.

Superdak, the reason for the 80K change is mainly because of the strainer. Since that is technically "not serviceable", the factory tells you to change the whole thing. I'm at 135K on my truck and have never had any issues with the fuel system. Since the truck rolled off the show room floor, I have ran BG44K every 10-12K. At no point have I had to do anything exclusive of this.

If it turns out you are feeling froggy and want to change the pump and strainer anyway, I would suggest a Walbro 255HP, since you are on spray. They are a little loud for the avg. in-tank fuel pump, but nothing like my A1000 that sits inside the race car.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 06-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no way that is an in-tank wally. That must be an inline that is mounted under the car. That thing is way louder than my old in-tank wally.

This is about what it sounds like now...

Quick Reply: fuel pump