3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

emergency- Just replaced water pump- now engine shaking and ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 PM
calixdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

123456asdf

Last edited by calixdakota; 07-16-2023 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You appear to be a very energetic person with their finger in a lot of things. How successful you are, I don't know, you could be spread very thin in both knowledge and especially time - knowledge can usually be improved if you have the time. The things that you're involved in are all different, from roofing to accounting, and you've found a weakness in your capabilities - auto mechanics, all the facets of this, from knowledge of how all the systems work in concert, to diagnosis of any problems, to planning & executing repairs. The planning portion is very important because of the complexity of todays automobiles (you need to understand the ripple effect of what you do), and although there are a lot of mechanics that don't do this, the successful ones have a demonstrated capability in analyzing and planning. In my opinion, you need to develop this, but only after you get some good general knowledge of how vehicles work. That's going to be a real challenge for you, with a lack of time & cash, you're going to be a real target for the vultures that sit in their garages watching for people like yourself. In my opinion, you'd be better off getting a vehicle that's either new or in really good shape and get rid of your weak spot headaches. The Dakota is a good truck, BUT it has a bunch of issues that make it less than ideal for someone that needs to rely on it in your environment. If you insist on a used pickup, I'd recommend something that has a lot of cheap support in both parts stores, auto salvage yards, and also has a local popularity - the mechanics will understand this a lot more.

The bottom line is to think before you leap & trust people sparingly - they should demonstrate their trustworthiness. It's good to listen to advise from buddies etc., but advise is free and not infallible. Analyze the consequences of following any advise & take time to do your research.

The following users liked this post:
calixdakota (07-16-2023)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM
calixdakota
Professional

Last edited by calixdakota; 07-16-2023 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 AM
gwdriscoll1

Four weeks ago a simalar thing happened to my 3.7. I still have the 100,00o mile drive train warrenty but forgot about it and had the water pump replaced by a non-Chrysler mechanic. Three wweks later started having accelerator problems, a hasitation. Thought it was a bad tank of gas. It wasn't and got worse as the week progressed. took it to the dealer and the problem was a cyclinder valves screwed up and loosing compression. They replaced the head and two cylender coils damaged from the coolent getting at them. On trip home from dealer the engine light came on and returned to the dealer. He will be replacing the catalitic converter under the 80,000 mile emmission control warenty. Yester day I discovered that the remote starter works but the engine shuts off after 1 minute not the 15 minutes it is supose to run. Any ideas on this?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by gwdriscoll1
Four weeks ago a simalar thing happened to my 3.7. I still have the 100,00o mile drive train warrenty but forgot about it and had the water pump replaced by a non-Chrysler mechanic. Three wweks later started having accelerator problems, a hasitation. Thought it was a bad tank of gas. It wasn't and got worse as the week progressed. took it to the dealer and the problem was a cyclinder valves screwed up and loosing compression. They replaced the head and two cylender coils damaged from the coolent getting at them. On trip home from dealer the engine light came on and returned to the dealer. He will be replacing the catalitic converter under the 80,000 mile emmission control warenty. Yester day I discovered that the remote starter works but the engine shuts off after 1 minute not the 15 minutes it is supose to run. Any ideas on this?
Welcome to DF! Please start your own thread for your starter issue. Posting other problems in someone elses threads makes it difficult to search for similar problems by other members. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:34 AM
Dorite91

Originally Posted by PublicHair
Your motor is toast dude. Huge mistake letting it run over heated like that for 5 minutes. These 4.7 motors hate heat and its common for them to tweak from heat.

Unless you forgot to plug in a silly wire somewhere, my money is on a toasted motor. If no visible leaks external while running make sure you sniff your exhaust as it could be burning internally.

If that's the case.. Serves you right for driving it like that. This should teach you
It "serves" him right? You're diagnosing his engine being toast and yet... You have no actual idea wether or not your diagnosis is just as full of s*@t as your attitude. Your vibe is god awful. Not only are you saying someone "deserves" to have their engine be "toast" but you're saying they deserve it, based on your apparent... And I mean VERY apparent hope that you are right. Who puts a smiley face on someone's engine being toast.... Wait... On someones GUESS that someone's engine is "toast"... A sociopath! That's what the name is for people like yourself. Lol hopefully you can now continue diagnosing false answers to people's problems and enjoy the sociopathic warmth of telling people they deserved the consequences of your false diagnosis of their engine problems. Hope you enjoyed a taste of your own medicine. It's called the truth. Unlike what your mind types out, my mind types out honest and much needed criticism.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:22 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorite91
It "serves" him right? You're diagnosing his engine being toast and yet... You have no actual idea wether or not your diagnosis is just as full of s*@t as your attitude. Your vibe is god awful. Not only are you saying someone "deserves" to have their engine be "toast" but you're saying they deserve it, based on your apparent... And I mean VERY apparent hope that you are right. Who puts a smiley face on someone's engine being toast.... Wait... On someones GUESS that someone's engine is "toast"... A sociopath! That's what the name is for people like yourself. Lol hopefully you can now continue diagnosing false answers to people's problems and enjoy the sociopathic warmth of telling people they deserved the consequences of your false diagnosis of their engine problems. Hope you enjoyed a taste of your own medicine. It's called the truth. Unlike what your mind types out, my mind types out honest and much needed criticism.
I think a sociopath is someone responding to and getting bent up over a 10 year old post.

The following users liked this post:
pierrejoly (07-17-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 09:00 PM
calixdakota
Professional

damn that was My first truck....

i put you all through HELL with my posts LOL

so sorry for being a crazed person without a mechanical bone or brain cell in his body....
it appears I Was like a chicken with its head cut off, running back and forth from the truck to the computer over and over.

well taken advantage of buy some scumbag shops

the shop that swapped the engine didn't drain the oil or over filled it 2x..

also found out later on they didn't bolt the new engine down after the swap.

along with several plugs not connected that the dealership found

i had no issues after replacing some cam shaft & crankshaft sensors

just re read this thread .

the 4.7 dak truck is in the dump long ago now..

the rear end blew and I ended up buying a new ram 1500 (2016) and driving it like a granny and 2 POM check ups a year.

Last edited by calixdakota; 07-16-2023 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: emergency- Just replaced water pump- now engine shaking and ticking