3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Clunking/knocking noises in front end. Cant find it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Portmob69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two of these noises I was able to track down. The first was the calipers bouncing in the caliper mounting bracket because the little metal quieting clips were not installed when the brakes were changed. The second issue was the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. The end links did not seem bad but I replaced them anyway with Moog. The bushings I got aftermarket and they did not fit properly so I order them from the dealership and they were pretty reasonably priced. The dealer ones were not split and the bar had to be completely removed and they had to be massaged on. Also the end link top bolt had to be tightened just perfect to not smash the rubber pieces too much yet provide enough pressure to prevent the bar from banging the link. It could be many other things but most of the time ball joints and whatnot are pretty easier to pinpoint at least in my experience.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM
ericluck
Amateur

You are right about the chevy usefull regardless I love knowledge!!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM
sparks1032
Rookie

I am still having noise on mine mostly when turning and on hill causing shift in suspension and still cannot figure it out. I recently replaced my sway bar bushings and end links to no avail

Quick Reply: Clunking/knocking noises in front end. Cant find it.