3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Splash-X
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I did find this thread. The person has said to buy all of the parts that I've already listed plus a "LX Harness". Off to do more research on that

Last edited by Splash-X; 01-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

You will not find a harness in the parts manual for the overhead console. It must have been included with the OEM part and people are just cutting the wiring at the console instead of taking the time to unhook the plug. The harness as depicted in the prior post is just power for the lights only. You have to either find a donor vehicle or run your own four wires down the headliner and A pillar to hook into the Canbus A , Canbus B, power, and ground. I looked all over for an actual harness, but gave up and just tapped the wires in the A pillar. There is plenty of room under the trim and headliner to run wires. Biggest pain the the rear is cutting the headliner for the larger console to fit.

I found a good write-up of this somewhere but can't find it now. But I know it is out there because I got mine installed and working. Loved being able to ditch the garage door opener and use Homelink.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

Excellent information, thanks. I'm going to try to find a donor plug tip or if I'm lucky a donor truck with the full wire.

These are the two most detailed guides (although the model or year may not be the same)

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...o-edition.html

http://goo.gl/ApxjkK *updated link

Last edited by Splash-X; 01-21-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Updated link
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Splash-X
Amateur

For future reference, here is a link to a pretty detailed guide for adding UConnect. The part numbers for the mirror and telematics module are the same but the wiring harness is not but the guide shows you how to make your own wire harness

http://goo.gl/s6ooXL

Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

Hey adamjeeps, would you be able to take a photo of your connector so I can see which wires you tapped for the console?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

Originally Posted by Splash-X
Hey adamjeeps, would you be able to take a photo of your connector so I can see which wires you tapped for the console?
It might be a few days but I'll get you a picture as soon as I can.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

I've hit the junk yards running! I went to four today and was able to find some Durangos and some Jeeps that probably have the same wiring for the computer (depending if its OTIS or EVIC) so I need to wait for my computer to arrive.

I was able to find some auto-dimming mirrors in good shape too. I'll be hitting two more yards tomorrow, one has the full assembly (overhead console, bracket and wiring) and maybe I'll be lucky and they have the mirror too and I'll have the whole lot! Another is a u-pick lot that has some matching trucks, maybe I'll get lucky and find a center console too and ditch my center seat in the 40/20/40 bench. I saw the thread where dakotaff changes his out.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
nanohead
Professional

I'm one of the guys who did this to a 2005. The console cabling that runs down the pass side A pillar is pretty simple to connect to. You really don't need the harness, too much money for a couple of wires. Its most important to get the correct mounting bracket (the one that sits on top of the headliner), as the part numbers in the factory manual are wrong, and the one that supports the console is nearly impossible to order. The one they list is for the non console version. I spent months trying to deal with it, and finally got one from a junkyard.

Also, if you can get the entire console/braket assembly, just grab the connector that attaches to the console, and splice some wires onto it to connect to the A pillar harness.

Also, the Uconnect mirrors are painfully complicated. There are several different models, both with and without light sensors for auto headlights. There are also dual and single microphone versions as well. Its also important to note, that it can be tough to get them to work correctly with aftermarket head units. The pinouts are confusing, and the mic is set up for both Bluetooth phone duty as well as voice command duty, so it actually talks to 2 different systems in the Uconnect system.

Finally, some of the uconnect add ons that people have done have required a trip to the dealer, to have them attempt to make the uconnect work with the dreaded startscan tool. Uconnect does connect to Can Bus, which thankfully the overhead console doesn't require.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

I appreciate the info. I know that the wires in the A-pilar can be tapped in to but I still haven't 100% figured that part out. I assume, based on the wiring diagram for the overhead console that user DodgeCares gave me along with the pin out diagram for the radio harness, in both of these the CAN BUS +/- are labeled as White/Orange. I have to assume that these are correct so when I finally do go to wire in to the harness I'm going to use those two.

Now, if you, or anyone else who has already done it, can send me a picture of which wires you tapped for the overhead console, that would be great.

Originally Posted by nanohead
Its most important to get the correct mounting bracket (the one that sits on top of the headliner), as the part numbers in the factory manual are wrong, and the one that supports the console is nearly impossible to order. The one they list is for the non console version. I spent months trying to deal with it, and finally got one from a junkyard.
The bracket I ordered was 55361301AA. It is supposed to be the correct part number and it fits a range of vehicles, we'll see when it arrives.

Originally Posted by nanohead
Finally, some of the uconnect add ons that people have done have required a trip to the dealer, to have them attempt to make the uconnect work with the dreaded startscan tool. Uconnect does connect to Can Bus, which thankfully the overhead console doesn't require.
I was expecting a trip to the dealer to activate uconnect if I was able to source all of the parts. The most expensive part is going to be the wiring.

In a 2006, the overhead console also connects to the CAN BUS, that's where it reads the information from. This pin diagram shows that:

I think I've already decided to do some shopping for a quality double din head unit with good Bluetooth support/sound. I think adding backup camera and the possibility of DVD player for road trips for the passengers sort of made up my mind.

I haven't hit any of the car audio places to demo new head units yet because I'm a couple months off from wanting to sink another $500 in to that portion yet. I checked with another forum member about custom fabrication for the dash bezel and that's an additional cost too.

I did pickup an auto dimming mirror w/ wiring lead and the computer wiring lead off a vehicle which already had the overhead console removed $5 so when I finally get my mounting bracket (any day now) and drop the headliner I'll attempt to wire those up.

I've already removed the center seat from the 40/20/40 split and put in a floor center console. Reminds me of my old 2004 Dakota. Only thing my current truck doesn't have is 4 wheel drive...

Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM
nanohead
Professional

I incorrectly stated that the console doesn't need CanBus. I meant to say the dealer doesn't need to do anything to get it to work on the CanBus. Which is also not entirely correct either, as you need the dealer to change a setting to get the rolling MPG display on the overhead console. You get everything except that if you install it yourself.

As far as the brackets, the non console and console version of the brackets look identical, except the location of the speed nut holes, which is why everyone gets confused over them. Why in the world the designers had 2 nearly identical yet different pieces will remain a mystery. I still have 2 of the non console versions in my garage that I couldn't return!

I did much the same as you're doing. I installed all the factory options into my 2008 Laramie, including heated seats!! The only thing now is to remove the horrid running boards. On my 2005, I installed most of the options as well, but the truck just deteriorated around me faster than I wanted to fix it.

And if you want to talk head units, let me know. I'm a serious car audio addict, and have been through 5 in the past 2 years. My 2008 has a Clarion NX603, with SiriusXM, Navi, Backup cam, etc, plus 11 speakers, 11 channels of amp, and 300 pounds of soundproofing. Its dead quiet inside the truck now!

Quick Reply: Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT