3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Splash-X
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nanohead
I did much the same as you're doing. I installed all the factory options into my 2008 Laramie, including heated seats!!
Haha, that's exactly what my next plan is!

I'll send you a PM about the radio because I'd like to pick your brain!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

Originally Posted by nanohead
I incorrectly stated that the console doesn't need CanBus. I meant to say the dealer doesn't need to do anything to get it to work on the CanBus. Which is also not entirely correct either, as you need the dealer to change a setting to get the rolling MPG display on the overhead console. You get everything except that if you install it yourself.
Do you mean the average mpg, or instantaneous mpg? I get the average mpg but don't have a screen option for instant mpg.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM
trotterp2305

Please keep me in formed about this because i plan to do this install myself

Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

I've sort of given up on the UConnect in favor of newer technology. What exactly were you going to do? Overhead console or auto-dimming mirror or uconnect or the whole thing?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
trotterp2305

I plan on doing the Overhead Console has my truck already had the auto-dimming mirror and i put a aftermarket stereo in with bluetooth

Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

Sure, I'm just waiting for the bracket to arrive. It should have been here by now and the sender is having to have the shipper trace the package.

I'll do a write up once I get it all working. IF you end up with a computer with no wiring lead (plug missing) I've got spares from my salvage trips. Most sellers don't include them (ebay and the junk yard). I'll be happy to send you one for $0.50 to cover the cost of shipping payable by donation to your choice of charity!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 AM
trotterp2305

I am waiting on the bracket to arrive has well and this weekend i plan on pulling the A-pillar off to see if i have the wiring or not. Here's to hoping i do. But yeah i would be willing to do that if you have one you can spare

Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 PM
trotterp2305

Hey splash do you have any pictures of the bracket that you would be willing to share

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

The first bracket I bought still hasn't arrived yet. I'm fighting with them for a refund since it isn't my problem the shipper has no record of ever picking up the package.

I just ordered the bracket from a second source, a forum sponsor, ///MoparAmerica. They had a post here on the site and had a discount coupon code so I decided to give them a shot. Part was shipped same day, went USPS Priority Mail, arrived today and I couldn't be happier with them.

Photos:

I test fit the console on to the bracket, exact fit. The bracket lines up perfect visually with the factory dome light and the two visor locations. The two rubber type plugs are in the same position as the screws in the factor lamp bracket. Now, the only thing I do not know is where the screw that goes through the console goes in to yet. The square hole in the bracket lines up with the screw hole from the console so I don't know if the roof already has the piece or not. I'm going to assume it does since even my floor had the mounting positions under the carper for the center console when I did it almost two weeks ago.

I have not dropped my roof liner yet, I didn't have the T45 to remove the seat belt to get the B-pillars off. I was anxious to try to do it today but I ran out of time. It is on my list of things to do this week though!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

Got the head liner down today and for a second I was about to be made at myself. At first glance, the bracket that was up there for the dome light looked identical to the one I bought.

Upon closer inspection the existing bracket and the new bracket are slightly different on the shape inside. The new one I bought had the holes for the two console clips as well as less plastic filler in some spots so that the computer would fit.

So, I took the old bracket out, put the new bracket in. I put in my new auto-dimming mirror and ran the wire lead to the console bracket. I created a wire harness and ran it from the bracket and down to the passenger a-pillar. I was tempted to run a single wire to tap in to the reverse light for the auto-dimming mirror at that point so I could have the mirror turn itself off when in reverse but I said screw it.

The one down side, the square hole in the front of the bracket where the screw in the console goes has nothing for the screw to catch on to on the rear. That's not a problem for me because my new bracket came with the snap-in fittings that are supposed to go in to the ceiling for the screws (brass clips on the picture I posted). Sure enough, that same fittings easily snap in to that square hole and was a perfect fit (both in size and location for the screw). Now I have three spare clips.

Rather than fully remove the headliner to cut it I put the all the other pieces back in to hold it up EXCEPT the front visors and A-pillar covers. I used a razor knife to trim the headliner until the console fit.

Here is the console installed along with the new mirror. You'll notice that there are wires off to the right, I didn't have time to do the wiring yet, I'll probably just do that tomorrow at lunch.

Things are coming along. I took a lot of pictures during the process so I can make a full how-to guide later if I have time. My wife came out to see what I was up to and helped me out, having two people to handle the head liner is great! It can be done with just one person, especially if you put it back up to trim it so you don't have to hold it.

Next step, the wiring which should be far less time consuming

Quick Reply: Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT