3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Splash-X
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT

I figured since it was a new year I would take on a new project. I've done some searching on the forum and found information that tells me that this project can be done successfully!

I want to add the overhead console w/trip computer, an auto-dimming mirror with UConnect and connect the factory radio up to the mirror.

I know that there are aftermarket radios that are a direct fit, no dash kits needed (like this one but Post #12 had bad experiences with the head unit )

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT (VIN s557658) that has the factor REF radio along with the standard dome lights above. I've verified that I do have the ambient air temperature sensor. I have not taken apart the truck yet to see what wiring exists in the A-pillars or behind the overhead liner. I've already sourced the overhead console w/trip computer (Part 56044864AB) but waiting for it to arrive.

Next, I need to get the mounting bracket for the overhead console which I believe that to be part number 55361301AA.

I believe that the auto-dimming mirror with UConnect functions to be one of these part numbers:

05064017AD ; 05064017AA; 05064017AB; 05064017AC; 05064017AE

I believe that the telematics communication module to be one of these part numbers:

05064013AV ; 05064013AF; 05064013AG; 05064013AH; 05064013AR; 05064013AS; 05064013AT; 05064013AU

Assuming that those are the correct part numbers that leaves me trying to figure out what wiring is going to be needed. Looking at this schematic there are several items listed as being the wiring but I don't know exactly how to tell which one I need or all of which are compatible.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...rimLevel=18745

I also assume that an additional wiring kit will be needed to go between the telematics module and the UConnect mirror, am I right? Or is that wiring part of the full body wiring kit from above?

I'm sure people will try to talk me out of adding the UConnect but even if I decided to not do the UConnect I'm still planning on installing the auto-dimming mirror (part number 04805572AD).

Can anyone help me confirm that I have the right part numbers and to help me locate the part number(s) for the wiring I'll need to complete the setup?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll save you a bunch of money on the auto dimming mirror. I added one to my 06 SLT, which has the overhead console already, but no Uconnect, although there was power in the wiring for the Uconnect.

Auto Dimming mirror installed

That's a lot of work (& $$) to add Uconnect, I never gave a thought to add it, and won't.

Last edited by dakotaff; 01-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

I greatly appreciate your input, I did find your thread while I was searching and considered only adding the mirror with no UConnect. I was planning on picking up up most these parts on the second hand market, primarily eBay.

Currently, I don't have an overhead console so I don't know if the wiring is there yet. I will have to try to take the passenger post off and maybe even the headliner to see. It would be a big plus if the car was already wired for it but there is a possibility it isn't.

The average going price for the OEM auto-dimming mirror is around $45 - $65 on the second hand market. If you search by part # for the UConnect mirrors are around $65. There are a lot of people who are just listing the part by part number and not adding vehicle compatibility which makes it easier to scoop up the mirror for super cheap!

If my truck doesn't have the wiring already for the console and/or mirror and/or uconnect I'm going to need to get it and I can't really tell how to figure out which wiring harness would be needed.

Attached is a picture of the back of the UConnect mirror. The smaller single row connector looks similar to the connector used for the OEM auto-dimming mirror. The larger double row connector I assume is the UConnect wire.

Does that block look similar to the spare UConnect wire you found up with your overhead console?

If the UConnect wire is already included in my existing wiring OR in the wiring I end up buying for the console/auto-dimming mirror then the only real cost of adding UConnect is $140 for the module and a trip to the dealer to turn the feature on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
uconnect_mirror.jpg (97.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM
dakotaff
Champion

I don't recall any wiring harness already installed, but it was a year ago and can't really remember. But my truck, not being equipped with Uconnect, may not have all the necessary parts already in place. I simply had a power and ground wire to connect from my aftermarket mirror.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

I added the overhead console to my 2005 SLT. It did not have the wiring harness, so I had to tap into the wires inside the passenger A pillar trim. Was not hard to do and the unit powered up nicely with no codes or error messages. I was somewhat expecting to have to go to the dealer to have that feature added, but it works perfectly on mine.

I added a Kenwood Excelon CD player with Bluetooth, USB and aux inputs, and HD radio. What does U-Connect do that a good aftermarket radio will not?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

I have a feeling that this is what I will need to do too. I've read a lot of threads, most are related to older Gen 2 models but I've found a few Gen 3 threads like https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-question.html.

From both what you've said and what is in that thread there should be a connector block somewhere in the passenger A-pillar and I would need to tap in to that. Ideally, I would just buy the full harness that goes from that connector all the way to the rear light and do it right but I don't know the part #. If I do hack it and just run wires to the passenger A-pillar I'll need to find a way to wire in to the computer since mine probably won't have the connector block. That could be as simple as finding a junked 2005 - 2007 with console and cutting it!

I have a feeling that everything, including the UConnect, is included in that plug on the A-pillar. Since it's an option that could be added I assume it was modular so the wires should be there.

Now, to answer what does UConnect do that a good aftermarket radio won't? Nothing! The UConnect mirror adds in the mic port to the mirror along with the control buttons. It plugs in to the factory radio and works (after a trip to the dealer for turning the feature on).

If I'm going through the trouble of doing the overhead console and the biggest price difference is the telecom module, why not just add it?

I could get an aftermarket radio but if I'm going to do that I might as well add one that has support for a backup camera too and then I'm around $500+ for a head unit. I'll need to find a quality car audio shop that I can demo all of the hands free radios to see sound quality.

I'm not saying I will for sure add UConnect or won't but I'd like to know part #s for the wiring harness so I can decide. I may end up with an aftermarket head unit instead and a new center bezel so it doesn't look cheesy where the volume/station controls are on the OEM unit.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Honestly, I think you'd be happier with an aftermarket head unit, and it will be much easier to accomplish adding bluetooth and rear camera features. Trying to locate all the correct parts that work together, and maybe what I'm sure will be a pleasant trip to a dealer (if necessary), seems to be a PITA.

Find a nice double din head unit, with all the features that you want, and pick up a double din bezel right here on DF, from weedahoe. Just a suggestion, but definitely do what you want. We'll try our best to help you here along the way, whatever your choice.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

Assuming that the mounting bracket for the center console is the right part number, I still need the wiring harness that will allow me to add the overhead console. I don't have that part #.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM
dakotaff
Champion

The only wiring part that I see for the overhead console is part # 05166454AA.

Part # 5 on this page.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Splash-X
Amateur

Yeah, that's sort of what I don't get. That diagram makes it appear that the wiring is only for the lights and not to hookup the trip computer, know what I mean? It may just be misleading...

Your part number did come up on another diagram here that shows #8, Wiring. Mirror Jumper (56051317AC with UConnect and 56051318AB without the UConnect. I think that harness connects from the A-pillar to the mirror

What is odd is item #1 on that diagram isn't even listed as a part and that's probably the part number I need.

I do appreciate all of your help. I think need to take off the passenger A-pillar tomorrow and see what I see.

Quick Reply: Adding Overhead Console, Auto-dim Mirror w/UConnect to 2006 SLT