3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

can't remove cv axle from diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know somebody who tried to drive a Chevy with no front axles and got about 20 feet before almost losing the front wheels because there was nothing holding the inner and outer hub bearings together. Not sure if the Dodge hub is built the same way, but I don't think I would try it.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
I know somebody who tried to drive a Chevy with no front axles and got about 20 feet before almost losing the front wheels because there was nothing holding the inner and outer hub bearings together. Not sure if the Dodge hub is built the same way, but I don't think I would try it.

I believe our hubs are the same, 2wd or 4wd. Since it is IFS, the "only" difference is the pumpkin and the half-shafts.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can confirm that the hubs and unit bearings are the same for 2wd and 4wd.

as i have replaced mine and they carry the same part number,

chevrolet uses a different unit bearing design that needs to be held together by a LARGE bolt if the axle is pulled.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM
kenttt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspected as much, I looked at a spare hub I have and it looks like it wouldn'd come apart.
I took a hub apart from a 2000 Chev mini van a couple of years ago, I don't remember exactly how it was put together but it didn't want to come apart, used the 12 ton press on it.
I have a rumble in the front end of our '05 Dakota and I thought it was the RH hub so I replaced it. Rumble was still there so I replaced the LH hub. Still have the rumble so I plan on pulling both drive axles and trying it that way to see if the rumble is still there or not. Hubs should come out easier this time as I used copious amounts of nevr-sieze on everything when I put it back together. At least I won't have to pull the yokes this time and beat the snot outn the hubs to get them out.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Charlie Lambert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenttt
I take it that you mean w/one axle in and the other out? I don't see why not, as long as the transfer case is in 2WD.
NO! The cv stub keeps hub from seperating

Quick Reply: can't remove cv axle from diff