3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Sliding Window Compatability

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Splash-X
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sliding Window Compatability

I have an 06 Dakota QC and I'm looking to ditch the solid rear window in favor of a sliding rear window. I've seen places that claim that the rear window size from 97 - 11 are all the same size, is this true?

Is the rear window something fairly easy to install DIY or is it best left to a professional? Is the window easy to remove in one piece?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Unless you have ever done one, yes, it is a royal PIA. Check out some videos on you tube. The process is the same whatever the vehicle.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

They aren't too bad, but they are a pain nonetheless. Make sure you have some clothes line rope or similar... I am not sure about fitment with 2004 or older. That rear window maybe the same. I haven't ever looked that close at one or compared.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Splash-X
Amateur

I've seen a couple of videos where the string/clothes line is used when you have a rubber gasket/seal that the window sits in to help you pull the up and over the "pinch". Is that what you're suggesting I use the rope for?

Most of the windows for the Dakota I've seen don't appear to have the rubber gasket/pinch but use a urethane bead to complete the seal (but I could be wrong).

Removal of a window appears pretty easy based on the videos, cut the bead and remove. It looks like a rear window is $25 at the local you-picks or $200 new. I'll probably create a template for the window edge (left and right) and take measurements to make sure the window is exactly the same before I go remove one

Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Splash-X
I've seen a couple of videos where the string/clothes line is used when you have a rubber gasket/seal that the window sits in to help you pull the up and over the "pinch". Is that what you're suggesting I use the rope for?

Most of the windows for the Dakota I've seen don't appear to have the rubber gasket/pinch but use a urethane bead to complete the seal (but I could be wrong).

Removal of a window appears pretty easy based on the videos, cut the bead and remove. It looks like a rear window is $25 at the local you-picks or $200 new. I'll probably create a template for the window edge (left and right) and take measurements to make sure the window is exactly the same before I go remove one
You are correct and I am wrong. The older model Daks do have a seal. The newer ones have an odd backlite fence framing system with tabs and a urethane bead. So it seems all you'd need is a knife, iso alcohol, and controlled brute force. Get it done and if you have time take some pictures and let us know how it went.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I opted not to do mine when I broke it. The shop did it for about 250 all said and done (solid). Wish I had got the slider now that I have a topper with a slider, doh! I did some research and you have to buy a mixing applicator gun to apply the bead. It also needs some thing to hold it in place as it is not a captured unit. It has shim/spacers that hold it away from the body/window frame and the "glue" (2-part epoxy like stuff) fills in the gap. Looks tricky. I have done the old skool windshields before with a guitar string (removal) and a bead of silicone (install), but this will not work (well) here.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Splash-X
Amateur

From what I've seen so far, urethane caulking is just a single tube applied with a standard caulk gun. The video I saw says to make a V-cut in the tip of the tube for the best bead.

Most all of the online shops that sell the rear slider window have an accessories page and all of them are selling one brand or another of ready to use urethane. There is primer to use on the window to get the best seal.

It doesn't look overly complicated, most places seem to say it takes about 30 - 45 minutes to do. If I knew of someone who does glass installs (and would do used glass) I would have a pro do it but as I intend to pull one off a junked truck I will have a hard time finding someone to do the work.

If I were opting for a brand new slider I would probably just do it through a glass repair shop. You have to admit, $25 for a used glass slider plus cost of supplies sure beats $250, no?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am with you. I admit my research was hasty because of the lack of a rear glass in January. If you have the ability to double check everything, then go for it.

I have the time now too, and for 50 bux I may have look into a slider! Go 'head and figger that one out for us.

Quick Reply: Rear Sliding Window Compatability