3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What service does my truck actually need? (2007)

Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Cali10
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What service does my truck actually need? (2007)

2007 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 SLT with 44K miles. Purchased it 3 years ago with 32K miles so it gets appx 4K miles/year, commute driving, no heavy lifting.

Haven’t done much routine service on it since I got it; aside from yearly oil changes, new shocks in the back, new air filter two years ago and put a couple used tires on after getting a couple flats. When looking at my maintenance schedule in the truck’s manual, it looks like most stuff is up to date.

Its last full service was a ‘30K mile service’ from a dealership just before I bought it. Here is a photo of what the dealership did (not sure what some of the stuff is so I figured a photo is more accurate than trying to list it).

https://i.imgur.com/NGog8e2.jpg

I haven’t had the tires rotated but they’re currently different brands with different treads since I replaced the flats with used tires.

Last week I had an oil change done at the dealership and they recommended several services. Wanted to know if they were legitimate services or just the dealership trying to get more $$. They recommended:

-Drain automatic transmission and replace filter/fluid
-Spark Plugs R&R
-BG fuel system induction service ($167)
-Fuel injector service ($165)
-Power steering system flush ($200)
-Flush and replenish brake fluid ($180)
-Perform complete 4x4 drive line service

Not sure why some have prices and some don’t but either way I imagine I would take it to a shop to get a better deal if I needed any of those services.

On a semi-related note, the truck sometimes downshifts kind of hard when braking, usually around 25mph. Doesn’t happen all the time but has existed for a couple years now, some days it’s more frequent than others.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Trans fluid/filters every 60k miles.
Spark plugs every 30k miles
Air filter as needed
Oil filter and oil depending on your driving habits and oil type (I used synthetic wioth 6000 miles/6 month change interval)

The dealer will ALWAYS try and sell you unnecessary services under the guise of "it's recommended". If you have an owners manual, go by that and that alone. If you dont have an owners manual and consistantly take your vehicle to the dealer for minor services like oil changes, be prepared to be inundated with "recommendations". Dont fall for them.

Run you a can of lucas fuel injector cleaner through every month or so, "periodioc fuel injector cleaning services" are a waste of money.

Half of that crap on that service report is plain old garbage and a complete waste of money. $30 for "battery service"? If you can keep the terminals clean from corrosion, you're doing a bettery service. Combustion chamber cleaner? if your that concerned, run a can of seafoam through it. Wow, sorry, but seeing how people get ripped off by dealers just p1sses me off.....Read your owners manual!

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-16-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Did i read that right that they did a exhaust system cleaning for 110 bucks??

Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I believe it says "vapor flush o2 sensors and catalytic converter", wth is that? My take is they "power flush" the injectors and throttle plates (even though there is only one throttle plate), then whatever they use to "flush" these parts gets turned to vapor in the combustion chamber, thus "vapor flushing" the exhaust system.....I guess the dealership was just doing that stuff to make it look good for a potential buyer, but honestly, at 30k, the only thing they should have done was change the plugs, oill and filter change. The rest of that is totally unnecessary at 30k miles.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Cali10
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Trans fluid/filters every 60k miles.
Spark plugs every 30k miles
Air filter as needed
Oil filter and oil depending on your driving habits and oil type (I used synthetic wioth 6000 miles/6 month change interval)

The dealer will ALWAYS try and sell you unnecessary services under the guise of "it's recommended". If you have an owners manual, go by that and that alone. If you dont have an owners manual and consistantly take your vehicle to the dealer for minor services like oil changes, be prepared to be inundated with "recommendations". Dont fall for them.

Run you a can of lucas fuel injector cleaner through every month or so, "periodioc fuel injector cleaning services" are a waste of money.

Half of that crap on that service report is plain old garbage and a complete waste of money. $30 for "battery service"? If you can keep the terminals clean from corrosion, you're doing a bettery service. Combustion chamber cleaner? if your that concerned, run a can of seafoam through it. Wow, sorry, but seeing how people get ripped off by dealers just p1sses me off.....Read your owners manual!
Thanks, appreciate the info. So since it looks like the spark plugs were done at 30K, I should be pretty good until 60K with the exception of oil/filter changes.

I just bought some Techron, is that similar to the Lucas product or would using both not be a bad idea? (Not at the same time obviously)

Should I get the tires rotated or does it not really matter much since I'm running a combo of various used tires?

Thanks again

Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Cali10
Thanks, appreciate the info. So since it looks like the spark plugs were done at 30K, I should be pretty good until 60K with the exception of oil/filter changes.

I just bought some Techron, is that similar to the Lucas product or would using both not be a bad idea? (Not at the same time obviously)

Should I get the tires rotated or does it not really matter much since I'm running a combo of various used tires?

Thanks again
Hopefully your not 4x4 running various tires (of various size or wear)....you will grenade the transfer case. I rotate my tires every 6000 milers/6 months (oil change interval). Depends on how long you want those tires to last as to how often you want to rotate. At least once a year IMO.

Whatever fuel injector cleaner you use, just use it like every other tankful if you are having any idle issues or anything like that. Read the labels for the directions.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Cali10
Amateur

Sounds good.

I took it into a shop today to have someone look at the transmission and the hard shifting issue. He couldn't find anything wrong and saw no damage being done to the transmission. So I guess things are good to go for now.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 downshifts pretty hard from time to time. Has done it since it was new. Everyone says it's normal

Old 04-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Cali10
Amateur

Originally Posted by dsimm87
My 07 downshifts pretty hard from time to time. Has done it since it was new. Everyone says it's normal
Although mine is definitely more frequently than 'time to time' its good to hear I'm not the only one.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

check the monther trucking transfer case fluid and if dirty or low replace the fluid. mine has got 160km on the transfer case fluid and boy is she dirty. i got the truck 4500km ago and did not even think to check it till last this weekend and wow its is black and 1 litre low. this weekend i plan on changing it and then in another two months changing it again. atf 15$ worth of fluid, new transfer case 2 grand or more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What service does my truck actually need? (2007)