3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cooling problems

Old 04-17-2014, 12:28 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling problems

Hey guys,
I just bought a 2004 Dodge Ram V6. I know this is the wrong section, but I posted over in the 3rd Gen Ram section and they aren't much help over there. I knew you guys would be able to help me, and I don't want to defect to another forum, so I came back here.

So anyway, I noticed today that my temp gauge was at about 3/4 with the A/c running doing about 60mph on the freeway (it was about 70 degrees outside btw). So I cut the a/c and turned on the heat to get it back down to normal running temp. I limped it home and popped the hood, checked out the clutch fan and it turns freely both t running temp and cold with the engine off. As far as m knowledge goes, I shouldn't be able to turn the fan more than about 1/5 of a turn cold, so I think the fan clutch is bad. Also, I think the water pump maybe going out. If I'm gonna do the water pump, might as well do the thermostat, as well as a full coolant flush.

I'm mainly posting because I wanted to check and make sure I'm not crazy thinking all of this. And also how labor intensive this all is. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I wanted to check with y'all first and seeing if y'all had any input. Luckily, I still have my old Dak to cruise round in until I figure this out.

Thanks for any input guys. I know it'll be helpful.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Drain, flush, refill and burp the system. Then check the thermostat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling problems