3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota shock installation price

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Cavemanlawyer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota shock installation price

I'm looking to have 4 new shocks installed on my 05 SLT 2wd. A shop right down the street quoted me $200 for installation of all 4. Looking to put on Rancho RS5000. Is that a decent price? I live in an apartment so I'm not looking to do it myself (maybe the rears, but not trying to do the front.) and don;t want to buy a balljoint tool etc.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:54 PM
djibara
Professional

Well you have struts up front so $200.00 is not bad if it includes alignment

Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Cavemanlawyer
Rookie

Yeah sorry I meant rear shocks front struts. About 300 for the parts and 200 to install. Thanks for the feedback

Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a "no" and a "f*ck no". The rear shocks on our truck are incredibly easy to do...2 bolts per shock. No need to lift it off the ground, nor get an alignment afterwards.

Rancho 5000s should put you around $55/shock. So, for ~$110 + tax, you can do it yourself in about 20 min.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Cavemanlawyer
Rookie

The rears can be had on amazon for $44 per shock and I'm not afraid to tackle that job but the fronts are struts on the 2wd at least and they run around $105 a piece. So I guess I will do the rears myself and save some money on the front installation. Might as well throw on some new end links and bushings while I'm under there as the rear squeaks going over speed bumps. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of points:
When changing the front sway bar bushings [easy to do yourself], Grease the heck out of the sway bar. I had a mechanic tell me I didnt need to, and they squeaked worse than the ones I replaced. Pulled 'em back off, added grease, and all is tight with the world.

Purchase a Control Arm bushing or 2, but keep your receipt, and have them in the truck.
[MONROE Part # 907971 Strut-Mate Suspension Control Arm Bushing Kit ]
When your shop comes out and tells you that you have to replace the ENTIRE lower control arm because they cant get the lower shock bolt out, smile and hand them the parts. If you get lucky, return the parts for a refund.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Cavemanlawyer
Rookie

Good call. I have seen online that those lower bolts seize for whatever reason. I saved those part numbers for when I get around to getting all of this stuff. Like you said I will keep the receipt if not needed. If I have that part then they can cut out the old bolt? Do you know if the replacement part has the same tendency to seize? Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I all but dipped the replacement in anti seize, so we will see.... As far as cutting the bolt, I was forced to cut the bolt into 4 pieces, burn out the rubber part, and then air hammer the outer part out. Be very careful you don't bugger up the lower end of the shock. I also had issues with the provided bolt being slightly too long [the threads ended before the shock was tight] I just found another similar but slightly shorter bolt in my mechanic's bolt box and used it but I would think that a decently thick washer on either end would work to give you the extra half turn of thread you need.

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 04-21-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavemanlawyer
The rears can be had on amazon for $44 per shock and I'm not afraid to tackle that job but the fronts are struts on the 2wd at least and they run around $105 a piece. So I guess I will do the rears myself and save some money on the front installation. Might as well throw on some new end links and bushings while I'm under there as the rear squeaks going over speed bumps. Thanks.
It cost me @$350 to have my front struts installed. I gladly paid that for someone else to deal with the strut bolt. my truck was an Alabama truck and there was no rust, so it was not that bad, they (Merchants Tire and Auto) were able to change them out without a problem. Made installing my leveling kit much easier since the strut bolts had been recently removed for the new struts. Rear shocks I did in the garage, didn't even raise the truck. Some people find it easier to remove the spare for the top bolt on the drivers side, but I was able to replace it without removing the spare. Rears took me maybe a half an hour for both.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Cavemanlawyer
Rookie

Thanks Jkeaton. Mine has always been in Phoenix so it should be rust free as well. This is a small shop I'm taking it to so that probably accounts for the low estimate. If quoted 200 for all 4 maybe I can get the fronts done for under $150. I'm gonna buy the spare bolt and bushing and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota shock installation price