3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My Dakota wants to Play

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM
soupysocks
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dakota wants to Play

I want to use my Dakota as the light duty 4x4 machine (I just picked up a 1986 Power Ram 318 4sp man for the deep stuff)

Before I go and sink it or do a "oh oh that was a big mistake" I would like to know a few things about this.

I have gotten stuck once before in water up to the rocker panels, the only problem I encountered was a flooded foot well, maybe about 1" deep and it for the longest time was parade slow in filling it up with petrol...since then it cleared.

SO! my questions are:

1. Is the air intake a good place?
2. How are the vents on the axles?
3. How do I find the gear ratio's?
4. Best Parts to replace my Chinese quality front end parts!

That's about it so far. I will start my build thread shortly. I am in the process of modding my Dakota with a winch behind the front bumper and a few other goodies.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Xxaler
Professional

Air intake location kind of sucks, pulls from just above the wheel well. Giant gaping area right below it, good spot for water to go.

Front is good, goes up right next to the battery, rear only goes up to the T-junction of the brake lines. Get an extension and run it up further if you feel you'll be going that deep.

Gear ration tag will be on a bolt on the rear axle, or in the glove box.

Dana 35 from a Jeep. lol. Order whatever is cheap on Rockauto and just run it, when it wears out nothing is hard to replace on these.

First things first though: CHECK YOUR OIL PAN! If it's starting to rust, clean it up, give it a good coat of rust paint, then smother it in grease. It's and the lower radiator support are the first things to go in these trucks.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 AM
soupysocks
Amateur

Thanks for the info! I will bring it into my shop tomorrow and do a bit of prodding. I did notice the front rad support have a bit of rust, will crawl under it tomorrow and inspect the oil pan.

As far as Dakotas go, how close in relationship is the Gen 3 to the 1500?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Same motor, transmission, transfer-case and fuel pump as 2008+ 4.7 rams. That's about it.

Quick Reply: My Dakota wants to Play