3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New guy with terrible bad noise comming from the drive train I think.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 PM
hockeyfish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with terrible bad noise comming from the drive train I think.

Also terrible search foo skills.

First, hello. Now that the formalities are over could anybody here help me with the problem I have?

On the drive home Friday my truck started making what I can only describe as the sound of chains and metal parts being dragged around. It has 245k on an 07 4wd slt. So I replaced the whell hubs and both sets of upper and lower ball joints. The drivers side bearings were beyond gone. Took a test drive and the noise is still there. Out of curiosity I put it in 4hi, the noise stopped. It also is gone in 4lo. Back in 2wd and where making the horrible noise again.

So what broke? And is it something I might be able to handle at home?

My skill set is above full retard but my frustration level can hit critical pretty quick.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me and look forward to scouring the site.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given the information provided, it sounds like something drivetrain related, from/and including the t case and forward.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:23 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

I'd start with putting the TRANSFER CASE in neutral, and the transmission too but it doesn't really matter, then getting the front end off the ground and spinning the tires then doing the same the same for the rear except with the parking brake off. It will confirm that it is an issue in the drive train before the transfer case. Try to listen as it might be an issue with the chain driven transfer case itself. Make sure to chock the wheels before you do this as the park gear will be rendered useless and the parking brakes are located in the rear only allowing the vehicle to roll easily when the rear wheels are off the ground.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the front driveshaft CV joint (at the transfer case). Common problem.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:53 AM
hockeyfish

Originally Posted by Tom A
Sounds like the front driveshaft CV joint (at the transfer case). Common problem.
Thanks for the advice everybody. I talked to a friend/mechanic last night and he said to also check cv joint/half shaft also. When I have the front off the ground and rotate the tires you get a ton of noise on the drivers side. Fairly quiet on the passenger side.

Next question, If I had to drive it about 250 miles in an emergency before it is fixed would it last?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyfish

Next question, If I had to drive it about 250 miles in an emergency before it is fixed would it last?
Impossible to say. I wouldn't count on it, though.

BTW, I wasn't talking about the axle. I was talking about the front driveshaft from the transfer case to the differential. Though it sounds like you may have found the problem.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to chime in on this...buuuut, my 4x4-foo skills are weak.

Quick Reply: New guy with terrible bad noise comming from the drive train I think.