3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Having Signal Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:21 PM
mattwilly91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Having Signal Problems

I noticed my signals doing this off an on for the last couple of months but not often, but the last couple of days they have really done it. When I turn on my left turn signal it will often turn on my right one instead and then it will switch back and forth between the two of them. I have no real mechanical savvy so was hoping someone might have an idea of what is wrong. Thanks

Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Until proven otherwise, it is the multifunction switch behind the steering wheel.

One circular block of plastic has the following switches inside: turn signals, high/low beam, windshield wipers, windshield wash. Too much stuff going on inside a very tight space, with little chance to cool. I'll bet it started to act up when things got warmer outside!

The switch is actually a ring around the steering column, so the steering wheel has to come off to change it. Sometimes you find a good one at a junk yard, but you might be in for an aftermarket replacement.

Not a difficult job, but removing the steering wheel can cause things to go asunder. Don't leave it too long, because you can end up frying the wiring harness as well - this from personal experience.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwilly91
I noticed my signals doing this off an on for the last couple of months but not often, but the last couple of days they have really done it. When I turn on my left turn signal it will often turn on my right one instead and then it will switch back and forth between the two of them. I have no real mechanical savvy so was hoping someone might have an idea of what is wrong. Thanks
mattwilly91,

I'm sorry to hear about your turn signal issue.

As @northgator8 has said, the issue may be related to the multifunction switch that controls the signal. The turn signal indicators are also associated with the instrument cluster as well.

Have you been able to confirm the arrows flashing on the dashboard are matching bulbs on the outside?

Quick Reply: Having Signal Problems