3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

getting new keys from an online source!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting new keys from an online source!

Does anyone have experience buying the key fobs online then taking them to the dealer or a lock smith to have them cut and programmed?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I ordered two keys on ebay, and had a locksmith cut them. I was able to program the new keys myself, only because I had two working key fobs already. If you don't have two working key fobs, then a dealer or locksmith capable of programming the fobs is your only option. Of course a locksmith would be cheaper.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The wife lost her key to the truck, so I ordered one on eBay last month. Make sure part #s match exactly, there are a lot of bad keys out there. A good one will cost you around $70-$80 for the key with the built in fob. If you don't already have two functioning fobs, programming runs about $50 at a dealership.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Thumbs down

I was at the dealer ship today and they waned $179 for 1 key. I asked about getting a key online and he told me they sometimes don't work, but he said that they charge $50 for the cutting and programming and they will program as many as I give them for the one price.

I was only ever given the one key, and I have had a few close calls with losing my keys so I am looking at getting 2. 1 for backup and one for the gf, I just wanted make sure I wasn't wasting my time with this.

Thanks all for your help

Last edited by Greatrack2012; 07-09-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Hit emoticon by accident
Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

I was curious when amazon had a bunch at $80 and ebay was at $25 my key fob is toast, I think I'll go with the amazon one

Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatrack2012
I was at the dealer ship today and they waned $179 for 1 key. I asked about getting a key online and he told me they sometimes don't work, but he said that they charge $50 for the cutting and programming and they will program as many as I give them for the one price.

I was only ever given the one key, and I have had a few close calls with losing my keys so I am looking at getting 2. 1 for backup and one for the gf, I just wanted make sure I wasn't wasting my time with this.

Thanks all for your help
Greatrack2012,

As the manufacturer, I would recommend obtaining your keys from your servicing Dodge Dealer. We aren't able to verify the quality and compatibility of keys purchased elsewhere.

Your dealer will be able to ensure the correct key is obtained and programmed to your truck. The key purchased from your dealer would also carry a 1 year Mopar warranty.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Amazon and eBay both have a bunch of counterfeit keys. Usually the easiest way to tell is by the price. If a key is 30 bucks its not real. But a lot of them come from grey market either out the back of a dealership or taken in shipping.

Part of my actual job is finding these keys for certain manufacturers and removing them so I have plenty of experience looking at them.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Greatrack2012,

As the manufacturer, I would recommend obtaining your keys from your servicing Dodge Dealer. We aren't able to verify the quality and compatibility of keys purchased elsewhere.

Your dealer will be able to ensure the correct key is obtained and programmed to your truck. The key purchased from your dealer would also carry a 1 year Mopar warranty.
I my only issue with getting them at the dealer is there $179 each.

Originally Posted by bchapin05
Amazon and eBay both have a bunch of counterfeit keys. Usually the easiest way to tell is by the price. If a key is 30 bucks its not real. But a lot of them come from grey market either out the back of a dealership or taken in shipping.

Part of my actual job is finding these keys for certain manufacturers and removing them so I have plenty of experience looking at them.
thanks for the heads up, ill stay away from them.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Out of all the aftermarket keys/fobs people bring in here, probably 1 out of every 4 fails or will not program.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

My two keys, ordered from eBay, work perfect. I use one of those daily with no issues. Two keys for $85, both cut for free at a locksmith, and programmed by me.

Of course that's not always the case. For my car, I ordered one extra key, had it cut, and it would not program. I contacted the seller and they sent another key to me. I had that cut and could not get that one programmed either. Got a refund after sending both keys back, luckily I didn't have to pay to get them cut either.

Quick Reply: getting new keys from an online source!