3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'05 Dakota Electrical Questions

Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
JCM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Dakota Electrical Questions

Hello... first post. Just joined up because I bought an '05 Dakota SLT Quad Cab.

Got a couple electrical questions....

The power outlet in the dash is always on regardless of the ignition. The search here says that the position of the #22 fuse controls that behavior. Found the attached image showing the 2 possible positions...

Problem is, my fuse is the right position for it to be keyed to the ignition switch. I moved the fuse to the other spot and still the outlet was on. So it didn't seem to make a difference where the fuse was, the outlet was always on. Anyway to change this? I'd rather have it be keyed to the ignition.

The truck has an aftermarket radio installed. And that radio is also always on, regardless of the ignition. Think perhaps they installed it that way and that explains the power outlet?

Also, noticed that if we've turned off the truck and removed the key from the ignition we can still raise and lower the power windows. I haven't experimented to see for how long this lasts. Might be you have a few minutes to do that.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ciglighterpower.jpg (78.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

The radio was definitely hot wired to always stay on by the previous owner, and it sounds like they also hot wired the power outlet too. If you pull the fuse out for the power outlet, does it still have power?

The power windows should shut down as soon as you turn the key off, there is not an accessory delay feature on the Dakotas. Again it sound like some custom wiring is involved.

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM
JCM

Went to take a look... removed the fuse and the power outlet doesn't get power anymore.

So as long as the fuse is in power is always on regardless of fuse position. With it out no power at all.

And I could still raise and lower the windows.

So yeah, custom wiring. Darn. Which means who knows what else was messed with.

Explains how one day I woke up to a dead battery.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

That all sounds kind of cool, especially the windows. Just got to remember to turn off the stereo!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:11 PM
JCM

Originally Posted by adamjeeps
That all sounds kind of cool, especially the windows. Just got to remember to turn off the stereo!
Yeah I'm ok with the windows. Radio too possibly. Just want to be able to leave stuff plugged into the power outlet all the time without it using power.

I have a bluetooth handsfree thing plugged in there now. Have to remember to unplug it when I get out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 Dakota Electrical Questions