3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Dakota Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM
wingman7000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dakota Owner

Hello all, I just got a great deal on a 2006 dakota crew cab st 4x4 w/ tow package with only 27k miles. It is my first truck and am really loving it. I just have a couple of questions:

• After going over speed bumps, it seems bouncy. Is that typical?
  • I would like to add power windows and doors. I've read on here that stock is *******ly impossible, but any good suggestions?
  • Also, the rearview mirror seems kind of small. Any good replacements?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 AM
sparks1032
Rookie

Bouncing is normal as the suspension is from a mini van only choice is to upgrade to rancho or similar. I would think power windows would be a junk yard grab as well as any rear view mirror you would want.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome! It is a 4x4 truck, expect it to be bouncy. With that low of mileage, I doubt you have any issues with the front end, but they are known weak points on these trucks (tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar links, struts). If you get stiffer struts/shocks (Rancho) it will be more bouncy.

Power windows would be quite a job, but doable, I imagine, with the proper parts. Rear view mirrors can be found most anywhere if you are dissatisfied with the size, replace it wirh a larger one.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 AM
wingman7000
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback and welcome. I bought a replacement mirror but it ended up being the same size, just under 12". The bigger ones seem to be clip-on which may look kinda lame I think.

I figured the the bouncing was just related to it being a truck but just wanted to make sure. I also noticed there are squeaks when it bouncing or driving over rough road. Is it the suspension? Should I be worried?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Hell, I replaced my struts & shocks at 19K, due to terrible front end bouncing down the road. The Ranchos took care of that for sure.

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

If you are concerned and don't have the means/ability to inspect the suspension yourself, I suggest you take it somewhere to have an inspection done. I know some places will offer complementary inspections or "once overs".

Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned prior our suspension sucks. I put Ranchos all around and I installed 2 actuators in the front doors to make it auto lock, with my alarm. Now if you do go the power window route your best bet is junk yard find and you get the auto lock and window. Welcome to DF and wish you the best of fun and travels with your new Dakota!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 AM
kenttt
Professional

the suspension is from a mini van
I've read this before and find it hard to believe that a mini-van would have the same heavy, massive front end parts as are in these trucks.
Next time I'm at my daughters place (which might be a while as she doesn't live in the same city) I'm going to compare the FE of her Grand caravan w/my 05 Dakota.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions on the suspension. I think its just getting used to a truck. I will keep the ranchos in mind when the time comes.

I did notice a new thing this weekend. There is a creaking noise coming from the steering wheel while turning to the right when I am driving in parking lots or parking. Any idea what it could be and why? Thanks...

Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by kenttt
I've read this before and find it hard to believe that a mini-van would have the same heavy, massive front end parts as are in these trucks.
Next time I'm at my daughters place (which might be a while as she doesn't live in the same city) I'm going to compare the FE of her Grand caravan w/my 05 Dakota.
I think I have said this before, but is was more "in jest" if you know what I mean. Like "the front end is so weak, it probably came from a minivan" kind of thing.

Quick Reply: New Dakota Owner