3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

trailer wieght

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM
mrwhatshisname
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wieght

how big or heavy rv trailer can I pull with a v-6 4x4 automatic

Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm pretty sure it's about the same as mine. I can't find specs online that go in alot of detail like i can find for the 2011. I got my info from here.

Extended cab 4700 lbs
Crew cab 4600 lbs

Then again, the 2011 model only had 3.92 gears in the 4x4 models. So it all depends on your gearing. The 3.55 gears would loose about 300 lbs max trailer capacity.

This is of course a dry weight for the trailer. You have to make considerations for the water and gear that you would add to the trailer. Also keep in mind the weight added as payload to the truck. Anything that you add in the box or in the cab (even people) will lower your max trailer capacity.

Oh, and if you were to go anything to the upper range, you definitely need a trailer brake. And possibly also a weight distribution hitch, unless you add a hell of a helper spring or air bags. And your MPG would DROP significantly.

As always, be safe and get used to pulling and backing up with a smaller trailer if you have never pulled before. And keep an eye out for the death wobble, or sway of death. If you encounter trailer sway, SLOW DOWN, but without using your brakes. I don't understand what they are saying, but you can see what trailer sway is and what can happen in this CGI

Quick Reply: trailer wieght