3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge / Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 PM
IndianOutlaw291
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge / Shocks

I have two quesions I need assistane with:

1. I have already purchased the gauge pod that fits directly over the steering column, and I would like to install a voltage gauge as well as air/fuel ration gauge. However I do not know if I need or if it is recommened to purchase a new O2 sensor along with the gauge.

2. I will also be purchasing shocks for my truck, however I have never purchased shocks before and am unaware where to begin. What manufacturer & size is do you all recommended ?

2006, 4X4, 4 door with 2" front spacer and 32" tires

Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

We have struts up front and shocks in the back. There is not a selection of different sizes. Rancho, Monroe, & KYB offer the parts for our trucks, with Rancho & Monroe being the popular choices. Do a search here for plenty of threads on that subject. No idea on the sensor recommendation though.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What information are you expecting to get from an A/F gauge?
X2 on the shocks. Rancho is the stiffest, Monroe next, the KYB is more like OEM (soft). You should also check your other front end parts while your in there.....tie rod ends, sway bar links, ball joints....etc.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:43 AM
IndianOutlaw291

As mentioned in an earlier post regarding poor MPG, I want to know if my truck is running rich or lean ... I am determined to improve my mpg !

Thank you all for the advice.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Get rid of the TB spacer for starters.....

Old 09-29-2014, 12:00 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IndianOutlaw291
As mentioned in an earlier post regarding poor MPG, I want to know if my truck is running rich or lean ... I am determined to improve my mpg !

Thank you all for the advice.
Although you "mentioned it before"...the question is still valid. If you were running lean...explain to me why you still have compression. If you were running "rich", what will you use to change your ignition and fuel trims in your VE tables correctly? Forgive me if this is considered blunt, but I think you need to stick with basics at this particular point. If you want improved mpg values over factory. Then consider higher flowing intake and exhaust, a programmer, 180* t-stat, and an e-fan. If you have mpg values below factory (assuming you have not intentionally done something to sabotage it) then look into general tune up and diagnosis.

Regarding your question about using your existing sensor or a new one, you first need to know the differences between a narrow-band and wide-band O2 sensor. If you want "general" information about O2 voltage, stick with narrow-band (although if you choose this as your tuning tool, you have zero business trying to do any tuning what-so-ever). So, you would want a wide-band sensor, controller, and gauge. We use Innovate units in the race cars.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 09-29-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Greenstezz
Amateur

Is it the auto meter 15014 gauge holder that fits our columns?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 PM
IndianOutlaw291

Autometer 15014, is meant for 2003-2009 Dodge Ram ... However it will fit a third gen Dakota.

This is what I will be using to house my air/fuel & voltage meters.

Quick Reply: Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge / Shocks