3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Buying a 2006 Dakota, Need Opinions and Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
TruckTimer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
And i see you've been reading the forum quite well, i'm happy to see my wording for reading the codes made it to your post. I agree that an ODBII reader would be best, and in Canada i can't find the $20 one anywhere (or $30 or $40 or anything cheaper then $150 unless i take an ebay gamble) and my local garage charges $65 just to plug it in and do a reading. So knowing what's happening by reading the codes this way is a HUGE timesaver for me.
I asked the owner to try the key on/off trick and he said nothing was displayed. Anyone know if the 2006 had this feature or not?

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Generally codes are a sensor that is reading erratically or incorrectly. The vehicle will continue to run, in open loop, until the problem is fixed.
Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking the same, maybe a simple sensor. Any recommendations on a code reader that you know works with Dodge? I checked out Amazon and there are tons, but some reviews seem hit and miss with Dodge.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Any OBD2 reader should work. All OBD2 systems are the same, regardless of manufacturer. If some don't work, it's probably more the fault of the reader, not the vehicle. Personally, I have a cheap no-name brand one that I carry in the trunk if I ever run into anyone needing a code read and at home I have a pretty expensive Actron unit that will also allow me to record/trend data, see live data, thart works on both OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles. All depends on your needs.

You really can't go wrong with something like this:

Amazon.com : Professional U480 CAN OBD2 OBD II Car Diagnostic Scanner Engine Code Reader Tool : Vehicle Subwoofers : MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com : Professional U480 CAN OBD2 OBD II Car Diagnostic Scanner Engine Code Reader Tool : Vehicle Subwoofers : MP3 Players & Accessories

If it does not work, send it back.

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-24-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

I've got a V6 05 Quad with 118000 miles on it. Keep up on the maintenance and it'll last. Only major problem was the aforementioned front end which I was replacing anyway with my drop.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM
TruckTimer

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
And i see you've been reading the forum quite well, i'm happy to see my wording for reading the codes made it to your post.
So the owner tried the On-Off-On-Off-On trick a few times with no success. I was up there this weekend helping out with something and I tried it as well with no luck. Is there another trick that can be used, thought I read something about holding the trip button down?

Also, the owner borrowed a higher end OBDII reader from his friend and the truck did not connect or give any info. The reader is one that the guy he borrowed it from uses to reload his car and change things up so I know its a decent reader. Although he told him that it hasn't worked on all cars.

I bought a Wifi one (Bought for my car) that I owned in the past but stopped working, figure i'll give that a try. I also read that Auto Zone will let you use a code reader, or they will come outside and read them for you. That may be my best bet if I can't get the reader I am buying to work.

Generally codes are a sensor that is reading erratically or incorrectly. The vehicle will continue to run, in open loop, until the problem is fixed.
Makes sense. My guess is it can't be anything major since the truck runs beautifully and always has, but we will find out.

Originally Posted by Dragon05
I've got a V6 05 Quad with 118000 miles on it. Keep up on the maintenance and it'll last. Only major problem was the aforementioned front end which I was replacing anyway with my drop.
Thanks for the heads up, more confidence that the mileage shouldn't be an issue. The owner told me he had to check his receipts but that he may have redone suspension related parts last year, he couldn't remember since he has a few cars/trucks. It was done by the dealer way back, so it would be nice if he just redid it so i'll know I can get some good life out of it

Any OBD2 reader should work. All OBD2 systems are the same, regardless of manufacturer. If some don't work, it's probably more the fault of the reader, not the vehicle. Personally, I have a cheap no-name brand one that I carry in the trunk if I ever run into anyone needing a code read and at home I have a pretty expensive Actron unit that will also allow me to record/trend data, see live data, thart works on both OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles. All depends on your needs.

You really can't go wrong with something like this:

Amazon.com : Professional U480 CAN OBD2 OBD II Car Diagnostic Scanner Engine Code Reader Tool : Vehicle Subwoofers : MP3 Players & Accessories

If it does not work, send it back.
Good plan. Even though I bought the Wifi one to work with my phone for my car (Unrelated to the truck), I might try that $16 one you listed, seems like a no brainer, especially if you are using it successfully with a Dodge. Thanks for the recommendation!

Looks like I'll probably be getting the truck at the end of this week if all goes to plan.

Last edited by TruckTimer; 10-27-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2006 Dakota, Need Opinions and Help