3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Please help with front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:09 PM
06firedak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with front end noise

Ok ill try to make this short. 06 Dakota 4x4 SLT crew cab 4.7. I have a whining noise that seems to be coming from the left front wheel area at speeds above 35ish and going straight. It had all the tell tell signs of being a hub/bearing. got louder when turning right and seemed to go away when turning left. Replaced left hub and still have the problem. now I know an outer CV joint will make a clicking sound when turning. this is not a clicking sound but a whining/humming sound. my question is does anyone think it could be an inner CV joint? I though it was the CV Joint on the front driveshaft and replaced it but still no fix. It should be noted that I do have the 1 1/2 inch leveling kit installed. any help would be appreciated before I drop the cash on new half shafts.thanks

Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 AM
LoCatus
Rookie

Have you rotated the tires (Just swap the front with the rear tire) to see if the whine moves?

Alignment? Font end being out of alignment can get a tire to hum/whine. Any uneven or strange wear patterns on the outter area of the treads is a good indication. Truck can still go straight down the road in certain misalignment conditions. BUT, you usually have noise from bothe sides in that case.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:31 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same noise. Whining/growling; turning seems to change the sound. I assumed it was bearings/hub. Seems like mine should have gotten worse by now, though.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 PM
sawfish
Professional

Originally Posted by rookie
I have the same noise. Whining/growling; turning seems to change the sound. I assumed it was bearings/hub. Seems like mine should have gotten worse by now, though.
I had the same problem with mine, and was told by the dealer that it was both the pinion and the wheel bearing. The entire front differential was replaced by Dodge under the extended warranty. I understand there was a problem with certain front differentials, and that was the reason for the replacement.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:52 PM
nanohead
Professional

99% its the wheel bearing. Mine did exactly the same thing. Replaced the wheel bearings and the noise completely stopped. Fairly straightforward job.

Remember though, if you have only rear wheel ABS, you'll still need 1 sensor bearing and 1 plain bearing assembly, as the speed sensor is still used by the the ECM

Quick Reply: Please help with front end noise