3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Custom suspension (mid/long travel) happening.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Custom suspension (mid/long travel) happening.

Ok, truck is down, most parts are here or on the way. 3+ inch longer control arms, 12" COs. If I spring for the high angle kore inners (800$), travel maxes out at +14" metal to metal. Trying to stay 0 lift. Planning for 35s. I will now take questions.

Last edited by rookie; 11-21-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Start a build thread and post plenty of pics!

Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM
rookie
Captain

[QUOTE=jkeaton;3209529]Start a build thread and post plenty of pics![/QUOTE

I guess this is it! I am trying to work on the truck, but I thought I'd update(brag). Pics after I am driving again!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM
DakotaJedi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about pictures of the workinginstallation process?? Successes, failures (knock on wood), etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by DakotaJedi
What about pictures of the workinginstallation process?? Successes, failures (knock on wood), etc.
I am taking pics as I go; just don't know if or when they will get posted. photo sharing (photobucket) is the way to go, right?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Photobucket for sure. Can't wait to see the progress.

Are you doing the work?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:08 PM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Photobucket for sure. Can't wait to see the progress.

Are you doing the work?
Yes. Progress to this point: one side of truck torn down, test of stock travel, test of mock up travel, test of ram axel, parts/materials determined, one uca fabricated, ton of money spent, unusable truck.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 AM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get some details on where the parts came from? And 35" tires on 0 lift sounds really ambitious even with fiberglass but the travel length alone is amazing. What size coil overs are you using and are you going to move the strut mount up? I'm assuming you are doing more than just extending the tie rods so are you doing a heim mod or anything? Also, will you have to drill out the steering knuckles or did you find someone that was willing to find and use correctly tapered studs? You said 14", but how much of that is up travel and how much is down?

I find imgur.com a lot easier to use than photobucket now. Much simpler interface and inserting the image on here seems easier for some reason. PLEASE JUST POST SOME PICTURES.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:17 AM
rookie
Captain

Yes big travel, 35s, and no lift is not going to happen without serious chop. For now, I am leaving the 32s and stock, cut fenders. The ram 1500 axels will limit the travel to around 10" as well. I will have to add the kore inner cvs later. The 12" COs will be a waste until then.

The parts are coming from ballistic fab, ride tech, and emf for joints, hardware and tubing. I can give more detail about particulars. Foa coil-overs.

Tacked together LCA just now. Tried to mimic stock geometry, just 3 1/8" longer and fully adjustable. Stock tie rods will be lengthened for now. Sorry about the phone posts.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 AM
rookie
Captain

I am tapping the knuckles for the 3/4 bolts, and using nuts/jams. Fyi: the lower should be drilled to one inch if through bolts are used. I would have preferred high angle ball joints, but they are too $$. I am using ballistic uniballs on the bottom and some trick emfs up top.

2"x12" COs

Quick Reply: Custom suspension (mid/long travel) happening.