3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

newb with 06

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 AM
h2ogunr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb with 06

2006 quad 4.7 4x4. i bought it about two montha ago because my old 98 f150 shot craps at 188000 miles.

im starting to think i made a terrible mistake. so far i had 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts, cam position sensor, turned front rotors , sway bar end links and bushings and lower ball joints. still rides awfull its been getting worse not better. tried to change out original struts but the lower bolts are stuck. beat the crap out of it with a 3 pound sledge and gave up. i didnt have a torch or penetrating oil.

tomorrow its going to a local shop omg i hope they can do it. very afraid ill get it back and still have the stupid bounce bounce rattle rattle. i have a bad front brake shutter now also.

at 81000 miles im amazed at how bad this truck seems and how stupid i am for rushing into buying it. i did rush because i had to move quick to get my *** to work.

somebody hold me and tell me everything will be ok?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(Holding you) "you will be ok". (Slap you in the face) "Now stop moistening my floor with your tears". I'm just kidding...sort of. Haha.

Alright, so weclome to DF. Welcome to 3G Dakota f*ckery. Here's what I will say. The weak point of our trucks are front suspension and steering. Your best bet is to replace all of it...assuming you want to keep the truck. Lets start with what you want to do with the truck. Off road, street, mix?

Old 12-26-2014, 10:02 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF and the most awesome 3rd gen Dakota section. Stop whining and do some research on here. You will find these are great trucks. : )

Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 AM
h2ogunr
Rookie

only driving back and forth to work and daily driver trips. im up to speed on the weakness of the suspension, i been reading this forums for 2 months since i bought the truck.

funny things these dakotas my biggest issue im having now is the bouncing and rattling (sounds like the spring on the shock vibrating to me)

i just dropped her off to see if this round of jokers can get the bottom bolts out of the struts. oh man im on pins and needles over here.....

Old 12-26-2014, 11:14 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

They'll get the bolts loose, don't worry. And if you have been reading for two months, you know which two brands of struts are the most popular for our trucks and will get rid of the bounce. Hopefully while it's up in the air, your mechanic should give the front end a good looking over.

Welcome aboard.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:42 PM
h2ogunr
Rookie

no good i guess im going to have to buy new lower control arms. out of money now so i get to drive around in a unsafe truck because dodge is stupid. im certain of one thing this will be my first and last dodge. i may just go and trade it off, screw it

Old 12-28-2014, 01:56 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Issues come up with any used vehicle, it's not isolated to Dodge. Who knows how the truck was treated or even abused by previous owners. We all know that proper maintenance is the key, and it is a great idea to have a used car or truck checked out by a mechanic before handing over the cash.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah. Another noob bashing an entire line of vehicles cause he bought a used vehicle with issues.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:05 PM
h2ogunr
Rookie

well im a little calmer now, but you all gotta admit this bushing design is RETARDED. i cant stand the thought of replacing control arms ive already put ball joints in. i dont know where to start or end. the shops i go to wanna do other things the truck needs and wont listen i can do that myself. i want the damn struts changed for crying out loud. arrrghh. im getting worked up again

so i found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/261646281506?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
im pretty sure thats the solution there

Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 PM
h2ogunr
Rookie

all the part numbers i found here for that bushing on this site are no good. i know this because i go to the website enter part number and it comes up no match. so for the benefit of others

MONROE 907971

Quick Reply: newb with 06