3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dos and Donts for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit

Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Dos and Donts for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit

If you want advice about how to fix your car, remember that you are the eyes and ears of your helpers. So, you need to be a good witness.

Here are some do’s and don’ts

Do record the year, transmission type, mileage and engine size of your vehicle, and any pertinent history of repairs.

Do provide as many details as you can about the problem.

Don’t ask, “does anybody know how to fix a Dodge?” don’t ask, “how do you fix brakes?” or "My car is making a sound". Vague questions like don't help us help you, so don’t be surprised if you get simple answers back. If you show some evidence of basic knowledge, then those offering advice can better adjust the explanation to your knowledge level. And, there is less risk of walking somebody down a repair pathway that puts them in danger of causing more problems.

Don’t just say “ my car won’t start”. You need to be a better observer. Here’s an example.

I have a 1998 automatic transmission 5.2L with 180,000 miles that won’t start today. It’s never had any serious repair and it’s had no major maintenance before. Last night while I was driving the engine suddenly quit, so I coasted to a stop on the road, a block from my house. Dash lights and headlights stayed on until I turned the key off. That night I couldn’t restart it, so I walked home. This morning I stepped into the truck and I turned the key to on. Just after I turn the key to on, I hear the fuel pump motor come on for a couple of seconds. The lights on the dash come on, the headlights work normally. The fuel gauge reads 3/4 full. When I turn the key to start I hear the starter motor engage, and I hear and feel the crankshaft spin. I can see the serpentine belt moving when I try to start the vehicle. But it spins the motor at a faster than normal speed, with an unusually smooth whirring sound and no evidence of ignition.

The above history, presented in the kind of smooth and logical way that a mechanic would normally approach the problem, rings familiar bells and makes it much easier for others to help.

Unless you’re sure, don’t start the description with your diagnosis. For example, don’t start with the question “ how do I replace a thermostat” Rather, give the problem, the evidence, and only then discuss why you think you need a new thermostat. You might find that the white smoke out your exhaust that you didn’t mention is also related to the overheating radiator.

Do provide as many clues as you can. for example if the problem only happens in damp or cold weather, mention it.

Do consider making a video of the problem. Posting video on Youtube is free, easy, and fun. A short video of your problem can make a huge difference as to how much you’ll get out of your effort. And you’ll likely meet a lot of interesting friends along the way.

Finally, one more thing. Remember to keep your thread active, right to the point that the problem is solved and answered. Everybody who helps out on this forum wants to see how things ended up. If you ask a question on this forum, you owe those who try to help the courtesy of telling them what the solution was, even if you eventually had it fixed by a pro.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-05-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dos and Donts for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit