3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Dakota ABS Light/Rear Axle Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM
joatmon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dakota ABS Light/Rear Axle Speed Sensor

Hi All,

First post here.
I have a 2007 Dakota and the ABS light comes on every so often with the warning chime. The light usually goes off after a minute or so. I have noticed somewhat of a pattern to this. The light and chime usually comes on after turning a corner or on a long turn on the on ramp to the highway.
I disconnected the sensor and tested with a Ohm meter and it shows some low resistance. I would think this would suggest that the sensor is not totally dead. I thought perhaps it is a connection issue, so I decided to clean the contacts with WD40 and then used some electrical grease and put the connector back on. I will see what happens over the next few days to see if there is any improvement.
Is this a common issue with these trucks? Is there something else I should look at? The brakes seem to work as normal.
Thanks for any input.
Mark

Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would look at all connectors to all sensors and modules in the braking system. There might be something loose somewhere causing intermittent signal loss.

You might have done it yourself with the main connector, but it could be one of the others, so it might make sense to check the others also.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM
joatmon

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your reply. Today the light came on what seems more often than normal. I will look for the other connectors. Do you now many connectors and where they are located? Any idea for a good source in Ontario if I need to replace the sensor?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 PM
regisfr

Check you brake fluid. Sounds low

Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For parts for my truck, i seem to get the best deal going through my local NAPA dealer. Part Source is good too, and i can normally get them to price match NAPA. The NAPA dealer is farther away from me. That's who i use up here in Northern Ontario. Then again, i'm about 8 hours north of you. I don't know what you have access to down there.

as for the other connectors, other then the main harness at the ABS module, it would be the wheel sensors.

But the low brake fluid that Regisfr said makes sense. After a long turn like on an on ramp, the fluid would be mostly on one side of the reservoir and it could read that the fluid is low, even if it's not that low when you are stopped at a flat area. So check that, and if it's lower then the line, top it up even if it's still in the good section.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 PM
joatmon

Thanks for all your replies.

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and and it is difficult to "see" the level through the plastic. I stuck my finger in the reservoir and I would guess that the level is closer to the min line then the max line. I will top it up close to the max line and see what happens. Hopefully I just overlooked the most obvious thing. I just assumed that the ABS light was not related to fluid level. (It was a bit of a pain in the cold to get to the sensor the other day so fluid level would have been easier.)

As far as the location of the other connector at the brake module, I assume it is under the hood? Also, when you say the wheel sensors, is that the sensor at the differential, or are there others? I believe my truck only has rear ABS.

We do have NAPA, Parts Source, Canadian Tire etc. in my area so I should be able to get parts easily enough. Just wondered if anyone had a local Canadian online source.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-28-2015, 01:35 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joatmon
Thanks for all your replies.

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and and it is difficult to "see" the level through the plastic. I stuck my finger in the reservoir and I would guess that the level is closer to the min line then the max line. I will top it up close to the max line and see what happens. Hopefully I just overlooked the most obvious thing. I just assumed that the ABS light was not related to fluid level. (It was a bit of a pain in the cold to get to the sensor the other day so fluid level would have been easier.)

As far as the location of the other connector at the brake module, I assume it is under the hood? Also, when you say the wheel sensors, is that the sensor at the differential, or are there others? I believe my truck only has rear ABS.

We do have NAPA, Parts Source, Canadian Tire etc. in my area so I should be able to get parts easily enough. Just wondered if anyone had a local Canadian online source.

Thanks,
Mark

Get a good light and a step so you can really look at the fluid with the cap off.

My experience with Canadian online parts retailers is that the parts that are inexpensive are cheap. You don't want to do these things twice! Buy the best quality parts you can and put them in once!

Not sure how far west Benson Auto Parts goes (they are based in Cornwall, I think), but they have always been able to get me good stuff!

Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 PM
joatmon

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I added brake fluid today and so far the light has not come on again. (fingers crossed)
I'm grateful that regisfr sent me in the right direction. Seeing the ABS light I automatically assumed that it was related to the ABS system and not the braking system in general. Have to remind myself to always check the simple things first.

Mark

Quick Reply: 2007 Dakota ABS Light/Rear Axle Speed Sensor