3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Dakota Rims - Rusty?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:32 PM
PickerBenny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 Dakota Rims - Rusty?

Unfortunately this truck has been kept outside most of it's life, and I inherited it to rust on the wheel wells and surface rust on the rims. I've seen people paint the stock rims and they look nice. But I recently saw a set on craigslist that might be nice for the summer. Here are my options:

1. I can paint the stock rims and still use the brand new all season tires ($700 ) If I were to go this route, what paint do you guys use?

2. I found a set of BOSS american racing rims that came off of a 2006 charger. They have tires and look sweet for $150. But im unsure if it would fit. The size of them are P225/R18 5/115. These would be my summer rims, but im unsure if they could handle the payload/trailer weight as I will be towing a 16 ft aluminum boat with a 25 evinrude engine this summer.

3. ? Let me know what you think

Here are some pics of the rims I have now.

TAeTsM8.jpg

Last edited by PickerBenny; 01-26-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Search "painting steel rims" on here and you will find posts with pictures and tips!

I would be reluctant to put car tires on a pick-up, simply because if anything ever happened, you might be without insurance. Even if it was unrelated to the tires.

go here: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator to see if the tire sizes are a good match.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Plastidip them. Plenty of how-to's on you tube. Agree with Northgator, don't put car wheels/tires on a truck.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, DO NOT PUT CAR RIMS ON A TRUCK.

As for painting, it's as easy as taking the wheel off the truck, clean it really good, clean it again, sand or scuff to remove most rust, clean it again, spray a rust converter, a coat or two of primer, then a few coats of paint. Don't forget to mask the tire and valve stem. Plastidip makes it alot easier, just remove the wheel from the truck, wash and apply.

This summer, i'll be doing two wheels at a time on my truck, most likely black, or a darker grey. I will do it over a weekend where i don't need the truck, on saturday, do two wheels, on sunday the two others. I have the aluminium rims on mine, so i don't have rust issues, but prep might be alot different then you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Dakota Rims - Rusty?