3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

P vs LT tire preference

Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Dshaad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P vs LT tire preference

I am about to make a purchase. I understand LT tires have a higher load rating. Anyone has a preference other than just the load and speed spec differences?

Thx

Old 01-30-2015, 01:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I ran P rated all the time. Unless you are doing some serious towing/hauling, P rated are just fine. IMO

Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

I ran LT's once. The extra plys make the tire very hard. Made my jeep feel like I was riding the Flinstones car, I could feel a dime if I rode over it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:24 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ride LT tires for the extra insurance. I don't wheel or tow that often, but i'm on the highway and with the conditions of the roads up here i don't want something to happen. And if i am going to go off the beaten path, i want to make sure that i can get home after.
And for some reason, some sizes of the same tire, the P and LT are not created equal, other then plys. Such as the LT 245/75R16 has the severe weather rating, but the P version does not.
As for feeling every bump, that also depends on the tread pattern and the pressure that you fill the tires with. If you go too high, and the tread has alot of big lugs, you will feel EVERYTHING because the tire doesn't have a way to flex. If it has alot of smaller lugs, like on the AT2 i'm running, you don't feel it that much more.

So, what tire were you thinking of putting on? what size? and what to you plan to do with the truck?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:11 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

I've never used anything but LT on my Dakota and my old truck that ran P can't be used for comparison since its just so different. I will say this, I run 275/70/17s (32" tires) and they are really stiff and combined with my Ranchos and Sensa-tracs you really can feel a dime under the tires (It doesn't help that I run them at 40psi to maximize the life of the $250ea tires). That being said, I tow often, live in SC (the s*****ness of our roads here makes me feel guilty about how low the road tax is), and go offroad often. I've never had a flat tire with LT tires, which is awesome.

General rule is that if you don't know why you would need LT tires, you don't need LT tires.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:04 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It boils down to how often do you run how much load on the truck.

The front can be LT or P series for most - there's no that much weight up there (for my 1988, with the heavy duty springs and maximum weight capacity for that year, front are at 34PSI for 215/75-15s, rear are recommended to 60PSI for the LT215/75-15s.)

I'm currently running P215/75R15s at 36PSI around, and it rides fine for me on the highway.

RwP

Old 02-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Dshaad

2005 4x4' v8 SLT club cab. I'm looking at Goodyear wrangler trailmarks 265/75R16 for all on road, have the tow package but no boat at this time. I don't haul heavy loads for long distance or anything. I am looking for a good highway ride and wanted to make sure of my LT vs P pros and cons. The P version of the above are only $145 at wallmart and that is what I am leaning towards. I appreciate all of the advise and comments that helps me with the decision. I would love to take it offroad but it really isn't built for that...no rock crawling..that's why I have a jeep...BTW just changed out my upper control arms and result is a positive...thx all...

Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

well lt means light truck and are really only made for towing vehicles. even maxing out the towing a passenger tire is just fine. do you live in canada?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:42 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You have to remember that if something goes wrong (and I hope it doesn't) that an insurance company will be involved. And we all know that they look for any reason not to pay, and if you are using anything other than stock, or direct stock replacement, you will have to show that it didn't cause the problem.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Dshaad

Northgator8, actually my son damaged the front end of our jeep which was modified. Inspector rep for the instance company paid us replacement cost of aftermarket bumper. I just showed the website where I purchased it and done deal...so at least I had a positive experience with the insurance folks...these tires that I am looking at are just a tad larger than factory supplied (265/75r16 vs 265/70r16). I will claim that they are better braking tires put on for added safety reasons....buying it?

Not a Canuck, integrated with the rednecks in Alabama and enjoying it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P vs LT tire preference