3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Emission Inspection Hell

Old 02-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission Inspection Hell

Hey guys (and girls) I haven't been around in a while...oops!...but something happened today that has me pretty teed off.

So with me living in NJ, we have to have emissions inspection every 2 years on older vehicles (because apparently 7 years is "older"), and my deadline is this weekend. So off to the state-run inspection station I go, only to be informed I failed emissions and have a month to get it fixed :/ The reason for failing is:

Catalytic Converters: Not Ready
Evap System: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensors: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensors - Heaters: Not Ready
EGR System: Not Ready

And apparently the reason it failed is that the OBD/Readiness Driving Procedures isn't set for some reason, so they can't read the required settings. Ugh. So then I obviously go right to Google to find out what's going on and find all this ridiculous stuff that has to be done to reset the driving procedures (start vehicle cold - under 120 degrees operating temp, turn on the ac, accelerate to 55 for so many minutes, decelerate to 20 for so many minutes, back to 55...) WHAT THE HELL!?

My question is, does anyone know how or why the ODB gets reset when it was fine previously? The only thing I've done to the truck since it passed the previous inspection 2 years ago was replace upper plugs and the starter. I have a Superchips Flashpaq on it (I pulled the tune before going to inspection) but the truck has had that tuner since right after it was new and passed previous emissions inspection. Any 411 would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

All I can say to those findings is, it was not driven long enough to set the readiness monitors. You gotta drive it for like an hour or so for all of them to set. I think that test is stupid. In my area, we can have up to 2 readiness monitors not set and it will still pass. Take the long way to the inspection station next time. Welcome back by the way.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Thanks, I'll try to stick around a little more than recently. Ha

Wait, so are you saying since I pulled the tune out, I didn't drive it long enough for it to have time to set everything back with the OBD monitors?? Or am I misunderstanding?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the same issue in NJ, my cat and O2 sensors were in a Not Ready status. It took a while and a couple of trips back to inspection for those sensors to get to a Ready state and pass the inspection. I know to go back to stock with the SC programmer well in advance for my next trip.

Be patient and you'll pass eventually.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 AM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinartist
Thanks, I'll try to stick around a little more than recently. Ha

Wait, so are you saying since I pulled the tune out, I didn't drive it long enough for it to have time to set everything back with the OBD monitors?? Or am I misunderstanding?
That's exactly what happened. Its the same issue as just clearing emission codes and trying to reinspect via OBD II will still result in a failed inspection.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM
DakotaJedi
Amateur

In June of last year (2014) I left my tow tune on (Superchips) and passed emissions with no problems. I actually checked on the Superchips website and it said not to return your truck to stock before doing emissions because it would cause this exact problem and you would have to drive around for a while to fix it. Then again, maybe Georgia's emissions process is less strict, although we have to do it annually. I can't see why a tune would cause an emissions issue anyway.

I hope this helps, and enjoy your lengthy driving to get your sensors "set"!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I never had an issue with passing inspection with my tune installed.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't have ever thought installing a tune would reset emission settings, monitors, etc. The 2 times I've had to have it inspected, I pulled the tune not wanting to risk having an issue with anything they did plugging into the PCM causing an issue with the tune. Like how Superchips advises setting the PCM back to stock settings before going to a dealer, having the computer flashed and whatnot. I guess now that I know that won't happen, I'll leave the tune in it next time. :/

Old 02-26-2015, 02:32 PM
DakotaJedi
Amateur

I think if your computer gets flashed with the tune installed, it would lock out your superchips tuner and they would have to program an update for your tuner for you to be able to use your tuner on your truck. Just a heads up.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just leave the tune in, never an issue here, and the guys love opening the hood and inspecting the nitrous system. put your tune back in and drive the crap out of it, should pass with no issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emission Inspection Hell