3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
DDak06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dakota problems

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted. I wanted to see everyones options on what I have going on.

My entire front end of my truck needs an over haul, It's making noise and when I was replacing rotors and pads I noticed my sway bar links were absolutely trashed. I need ball joins and who knows what else. If someone can point me or let me know what else should be replaced on these things I figured I'd knock it out all at once.

My second issue, which is a major issue, I had my CEL come on and ran the codes, it's a transmission issue, and from some of the research i've done it seems it's a sensor inside the trans. (I don't have the codes at the moment, sorry, but I can post them once I run them again).
Basically what's happening is, the truck runs fine once I start up and go, shifts fine no jolting or hard shifting, as soon as the truck warms up completely it likes to jump into 2nd gear and won't shift into any other gear. If I shut the truck off it goes back to normal for a bit then does it again. Sometimes the CEL goes off and the truck goes back to normal, then the light will come on the next day and it does it all over again. Any ideas? I checked the trans fluid and it's not discolored, a little dark, but from my experience normal looking. What's the name of this sensor if it is a sensor issue? I haven't taken it to a transmission shop to get a diagnosis yet, just haven't had much time, but I need to get this fixed asap. Also I want to add, I was driving on the highway when this first happened (and the trans temp light kicked on) I guess that happens when I'm driving over 50 mph for a long time and the CEL is on, of course i'm not doing this in 2nd gear, the truck wont downshift if i'm going over 50.

Any help is appreciated.

**truck has a 3.7 V6 4 speed 42RLE

Last edited by DDak06; 03-14-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 PM
djibara
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like truck is going into limp mode. You need to do a code scan to see what codes are showing then go from there

Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 AM
ChRispyX7
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say perhaps your trans cooler is plugged if it goes to limp mode when it gets warm.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well sir, I just got done doing a bit of an overhaul on my front suspension to include:

1. Struts
2. Strut Mounts
3. Hub Assemblies
4. Upper Control Arms
5. Lower Ball Joints
6. Sway Bar Links
7. Rotors
8. Brake Pads

So, if you got any questions about what kind of parts I used, where to find some of the best deals, and how to install...lemme know and I'll be happy to share what is what.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota problems