3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Strange issue with dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange issue with dead battery

Today I went out for lunch and ate in my truck. After about 15 minutes listening to the radio I went to start it up and got nothing but clicks. Dead battery. Dammit! I checked the battery voltage and it was at 11.4v. I wiggled the main battery connections with no luck so I got a jump start. Drove back to work with no problems and made it there right at the end of my lunch break which was great. At my last coffee break I brought out the load tester (I am a Heavy Equipment Tech) and I couldn't even get the required 375 amps to test my 750 CCA battery and the voltage dropped down to 3.3 volts so I knew right there I needed a battery. I figured I'd drive down grab a battery and change it when I got home. But after work, my truck started up no problem but at first i put it in drive and it didn't go. So I put back to park, then back to drive and away i went. Then I noticed I had absolutely no get up and go. It felt like the trans was slipping and I had very sluggish throttle response. I finally made it to the battery shop and got them to replace it for me. After that everything was back to normal. Just thought I'd share my story so that if it happens to you, you will know that all you need is a battery. On my drive to the battery shop I was thinking maybe is my tranny screwed or something else but I was certain it was just the battery issue. Glad to get er fixed up for only $100.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Weak/dead batteries wreak total havoc on these trucks. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-03-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for posting you resolution, ForkliftJeff! That's always helpful!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when my battery started to go, I was driving down the street and my radio started changing stations on its own, thought another dodge crap product, but nope, went to the store, got back in truck and dead as a door nail,

Quick Reply: Strange issue with dead battery