3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Is there a spring in the lower rad hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a spring in the lower rad hose?

I squeezed my lower hose the other day while changing coolant to see when thermostat was opening and it feels like there is a spring in there. Is there? It's the 3.7. I know some cars with an upper thermostat will have the upper hose contain a spring.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

most vehicles do have a spring in the suction (lower) hose to prevent it from collapsing

Old 05-05-2015, 07:58 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't notice a spring in the lower rad hose when I did my 180 t-stat last fall. I had the hose completely off the truck as the clamp was clocked in such a way that I had to really find a way to get the top bolt off. The clamp was right there. Took about an hour of trial and error to get it off. The clamp was stuck on the hose and I could' get it loose while under the truck. I clocked it differently so I can now get to the top bolt without the clamp being in the way.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Hmmm... Well i can definetly feel something in there, lol. I cant tell if its a bad hose or a spring. I already bought a new hose and i bought a OEM mopar thermostat online, ive been wanting to change that anyways.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

You should never squeeze a radiator hose. They rot from the inside, so when you squeeze it you risk cracking the inside of the hose. Now the hose( if it cracked ) will have a weak spot that you can't see. So while you're driving down the road all bright eyed and bushy tailed with a hose that looks good on the outside... pop goes the weasel.

Quick Reply: Is there a spring in the lower rad hose?